Airport car rental

Travel discussion for St. John
Barney&barbara

Airport car rental

Post by Barney&barbara »

Hello everyone ...my husband and I are considering renting a car on St Thomas for our extended Feb trip. Which company's allow their vehicles on St John and which ones would you recommend ...

Thanks
Barbara
betsyv

Re: Airport car rental

Post by betsyv »

Good Morning Barbara, :D
We have gone to St. John twice now and will be going again in a week... We have always used Amalie Car Rental.. and have loved their service... Not only can you take their cars to STJ, but they encourage you to. They have people over there to go to if something happens. We had a flat last year and had no problem getting it fixed... No cost to us. They will meet you at the airport with your car and when you leave you go right back to the airport and they take it from you there... So convenient and everyone we have dealt with there are professional and very friendly. It is also great to just throw everything into the back and be on your way... no shelping the suitcases all over the place...
Ha.. I guess you can see I really like Amalie Car Rental...

Im sure you will get other suggestions too... Everyone here is so helpful!
BetsyV

MN_Bhoy

Post by MN_Bhoy »

Here's another vote for Amalie Car Rental.

We just returned from STJ and couldn't have been happier with our car rental. Someone will meet you at the airport to take you to your car. On return, they will meet you at the ticketing area, take the car and leave you with nothing to do but check in for your flight.

Can't ask for anything better than that...

Enjoy!!!
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!
Barney&barbara

Post by Barney&barbara »

Great ,thanks For the recommendation ...one quick question, do they give you directions to red hook ?

Barbara
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

We have a car from Amalie Car Rental with us on St John now. Process could not have been easier. They met us at the airport. Both my husband and I cannot lift heavy objects anymore, so the driver took our bags from the Porter and loaded them into car, and the villa greeter brought the into our rental villa. Seamless exchange. They will provide directions, but really, the trip requires only 2 or 3 to turns over a 20 minute period and you are at the car barge.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Amalie is great for a one to two week rental and its who we use. For a longer rental I would consider whether a sedan from one of the other agencies would be viable. It really depends on where you will be staying and wether you must go to Lameshure. If you're staying at VIERS, you'll need the 4WD. If the driveway to your villa is steep and unpaved, you'll need the 4WD. But, we haven't needed 4WD on all of our trips. A sedan is less than half the price of a 4WD.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
MN_Bhoy

Post by MN_Bhoy »

Yes - the provide directions to Red Hook. Very easy drive though. No worries on that front...

Enjoy!!
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

Barbara:

I would second (well, 5th or 6th) the recommendation for Amalie. Great vehicles, and the pickup & drop-off process is wonderful.

Dependable, Budget, and Discount also allow you to take the car ferry to STJ.

A further word of advice. You mentioned a February trip. Book your car as soon as your plans are finalized. We did a 'last-minute decision' trip to STJ this past Feb, and just about everyone was sold out, both on STJ & STT. Fortunately, was able to book a Jeep rental in STJ after many, many phone calls.
"The exuberance of youth pales in comparison to a middle-age crisis."
Barney&barbara

Post by Barney&barbara »

Thank you everyone ...this forum is the best !!

Barbara