Where would you go?

Travel discussion for St. John
BillVT

Where would you go?

Post by BillVT »

This is slightly off topic but it might be fun to consider. Because of last year’s flight issues, we have been given a voucher for free round trip tickets on Cape Air. (Long story which I may have blabbed about on this forum previously.) Anyway, we will be on island for three weeks at the end of March and thought we ought to make use of those vouchers for for a couple of days. Here is the list of Cape Air destinations. Where would you go for a couple of days? Our resources aren't unlimited but not exactly budget either.

Vieques
Culebra
St. Croix
Tortola
Virgin Gorda
Anguilla
Nevis
indianaizzy

Re: Where would you go?

Post by indianaizzy »

Anguilla - went there for a couple of weeks in February and we loved it. Unlike St. John, it is a flat island but the beaches are just as beautiful. It's kind of a "foody" island and the restaurants are fantastic (as are the rum punches).
bill

Post by bill »

I vote for Virgin Gorda. Great beaches for exploring. One end of the island is so different from the other. Love the Baths and the beaches close by. Stayed in Mahoe Bay at villa Open Deck. Loved it. Good snorkeling right off the beach.

Been to Anguilla. I agree they have beautiful beaches with sparkling blue and green water. As beautiful as the beaches are, I just feel like I don't need to go back.

Just really feel at home in the Virgin Islands, they seem to have a different vibe.
Stayed on Tortola and St. Croix as well, both have some nice beaches but I don't think can compare to Virgin Gorda or Anguilla's beautiful waters.

Just putting my two cents in , for what it's worth.

Have fun deciding!!!!!
Wanda Creech

Post by Wanda Creech »

What a nice choice you have. Don't think you will go wrong with any of them.
I have been to Virgin Gorda several times and we stayed at Little Dixs and Anniversary House. The villa has amazing views. I loved virgin gorda but they don't have as many beaches that are easy to get to like St. John. Baths are great if you have not been there.We went over to Prickly Pear Island and they have a beautiful beach. Still a nice place. But I love St John more.
My choice would be Vieques and I have nothing to back that up. Enjoy your planning.
Beach Creecher
hugo

Post by hugo »

You may want to check if you can get to Vieques or Culebra with your tickets, because Capeair charges for two separate flights to get there from StThomas.
My vote would be Nevis for an experience very different to the VI, but beautiful and low key, with wonderful history and hiking.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

I vote you give them to me :lol: :lol: :lol:
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

We have really enjoyed our 2 trips to VG, so it would be my top recommendation. There are some beautiful beaches, great snorkeling and the North Sound area is very scenic. We loved going to Hog Heaven and getting a spectacular view of the islands in North Sound. Saba Rock has a free ferry and its a fun place for happy hour and dinner. It seems more laid back than other islands.

We've been to Tortola several times and enjoyed it. We like Virgin Gorda better due to the beaches and snorkeling.

We used to love going to Nevis and went often in the early 2000s. It was a very quiet place with little crime and no gun violence. It is very scenic with views of Mt Nevis from most places in the island. Most beaches are dark sand and there is little snorkeling (can't compare to StJ and BVIs). We loved hiking in the rain forest and enjoying the natural beauty. I hate to be negative about it, but that changed around 2010/2011 when St Kitts and Nevis had a record number of murders. Gangs and drug violence significantly increased. I don't think there is a lot of violence against tourists, but we have stopped visiting there for now. A group of citizens have been working hard to get the Govt to address the crime, so it may be better now, but you may want to check it out before planning a trip there.

Anguilla has had some gang/gun violence and serious crime against tourists, so its not on our list any more :(
Haven't been to Vieques, Culebra or St. Croix.

Happy trip planning!
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

I vote VG...we stayed 8 days this past trip we flew over right after Carnival on STJ...and loved it...very different vibe than STJ.. STJ has my heart...but VG is very special too.. very friendly locals..beautiful beaches..did not seem crowded as STJ and we loved Saba Rock...we did a day trip to Anegada as well...hmm...I really need to do a trip report... :)
[/url]
lisa mcg

Post by lisa mcg »

We have been to all but Culebra. Love them all for different reasons. Virgin Gorda tugs at my heart because it is so beautiful and our experience there was amazing. Went to Nevis last year, loved it and never felt unsafe, not once (will go back). Been to Tortola many times, but done there (beaches are crowded because there are so few), Anguilla has BEAUTIFUL beaches and amazing restaurants (and fun beach bars), but is very expensive. Went to Vieques about 20 years ago and it felt rugged, wild and quiet. Think I should try it again!

Trying St Croix this year and can't wait! So many islands, so little time 8)

Enjoy your dilemma!!!!!
all you have to do is smile, smile, smile
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

I would go wherever you have not been before. I think St Croix is underrated and we enjoyed it and the island has a lot to offer.
Chicken

Post by Chicken »

Don't waste a plane ticket. Take the ferry to Virgin Gorda. My vote would be for Vieques. The Bio Bay is one of the most amazing things you will ever see.
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

Not a bad situation to be in.....oh the possibilities.
Littlecheeze

Post by Littlecheeze »

Check out Virgin Gorda if you haven't been! The Baths are amazing!
"Changes in latitude changes in attitude"

Bill in Va

Post by Bill in Va »

Yo. Did two weeks last year on Culebra. LOVED IT. If you choose I have contact folks for you to talk to. God bless....Bill
You are never too old to have a happy childhood...
FinsUp

Post by FinsUp »

Bill...where did you go??