Travel discussion for St. John
mls10

Rain?

Post by mls10 »

Did STJ get any rain out of Erika?
Coconuts

Re: Rain?

Post by Coconuts »

Perhaps some areas did better than others, but as far as we can tell, diddley-squat, just as with Danny. Unbelievable.

Edit: Despite a neighbor on Gifft Hill reporting no rain, nearby Estate Bethany got a bit under 0.2" according to this weather station:
http://maps.wunderground.com/personal-w ... 827/mdaily
and 0.3" at this one:
http://maps.wunderground.com/personal-w ... 827/mdaily

So not as bad as I had heard, but still far short of what was expected or needed.

All the best,

Kevin
Last edited by Coconuts on Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bill

Post by bill »

Really , no rain! I was watching the web cam and thought the ground looked wet. I was so hoping St. John would get a fair share of some rain. Hard to believe.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Cruz Bay (I believe) received a little more than I did in Coral Bay and my total amount was somewhere between 1/4" and 1/2"

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
kklay

Post by kklay »

I was wondering if it was better to not get so much rain at first to allow a little greening up and re growth of plant life? That way in the near future when you get the longer, heavier rains STJ would not experience some of the severe mudslides that islands like Dominica experienced? Any thoughts on this?
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Dominica is 290 sq. mi. with mountainous peaks of 4,700 feet - in comparison STJ is only 20 sq. mi with Bordeaux Mt at 1,277 feet --- Every valley in Dominica runs like a river with fresh water every day while a ghut in STJ might run with fresh water a few days a year after a particularly rainy day - so any comparison that could be made would resemble apples and oranges.
The mud runoff in STJ is commonly caused by land clearing for development, this is not a problem Dominica is faced with and many of the structures in STJ are large and made of poured concrete and many of them are not being occupied in hurricane season at all - the economy of Dominica is very different and many homes are small wooden houses resting on loose stone footings and very susceptible to rivers overflowing their banks.
It is very sad to hear about the loss of lives in Dominica from this storm, I have many friends there and they are in my thoughts and prayers especially now.
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

In related Erika news, there were 10+ foot swells all day Thursday and Friday morning, but the seas have since returned to calm:
Swells from Erika
Swells from Erika
All the best,

Kevin