Bringing Wine?

Travel discussion for St. John
Betty

Re: Bringing Wine?

Post by Betty »

I live on St John and fine wines are very expensive. I have the opportunity to buy wholesale on St John and it is still comparable to US Retail prices. My favorite wines and champagne are not available on St John that is why I bring them down. They are limited release wines. Most wines available on St John do not have consistent proper wine storage. Many spoil. Most people rarely notice if a wine has spoiled. Most times uneducated drinkers are not sure if a wine has turned and do not question a restaurant. I myself have had to take many sips to discern if a wine is spoiled and rarely complain if it is drinkable. Bringing down wine is not a problem but it has to be worth it to you. My husband and I get 3 free suitcases up to 70 lbs each so it is easy for us to bring back what we need. If you are going to pay to check those cases you need to add that factor in. With 4 couples who are wine enthusiasts it is probably worth it when you factor buying a $50 or more bottle of wine. There is a nice wine store at Mongoose and it might be worth giving them a call to see if he can get your wine and what a case price would be. If you are drinking box wine or wines under $20. just buy at Pine Peace or St John Market.
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

northerngal wrote:Do you find it worth your while to bring wine? Do you carry it on (HEAVY!) or check it? ($$$) Love a good wine but not sure its worth the hassle.
I suppose it is a matter of how much you are into fine aged wines. We have a wine cellar, and wines we will bring are something you would not be able to buy on the island from both the type of wine, and how long they have been aged. We have luggage for wine, called winecheck, which hold a case and has wheels. Checking luggage is free for us, so that is not a factor.
Bob & Anita
northerngal

Post by northerngal »

I'm very envious!!!!!!
mark & susan

Post by mark & susan »

As noted by some it is very easy using the cases that they ship wine in from wineries. We always have those around and pack a case of our favorites from our stock. Last trip we went with a couple who belong to the same winery in CA and we brought a case of their wine, fun.

Think it only makes sense if you are checking luggage anyway. If so it's just one more box. (I have FF status on UA so we can check basically what we want w/o extra charges...)

On the last trip I actually brought BACK Veuve Clicqout champagne from Cost U Less. It was about $20 a bottle cheaper than states, we were checking luggage anyway and we had a STT car rental so easy to stop on the way to airport and use the box both ways...bit crazy I know. We have also used the boxes to bring back pussers rum. We tell customs what we have (as many as 6-8 bottles) and they just yawn and wave us through.
Betty

Post by Betty »

Cost u Less and Price Smart both were selling Veuve at crazy low prices for a couple months last year and all islanders interested, stocked up. I also found premium sipping Anejo Tequila at Starfish less than US prices last year and stocked up. Every once in a while you can get a good deal. Returning from STT to States TSA and Customs do not care how much liquor you bring out but do not have an apple as a snack in your carry on. $1000. fine.
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

I highly recommend all of you wine drinkers check out Island Cork and owner/operator Paul Tsakeres. He has an excellent selection of wines in his shop, all stored properly. And if you know what you want, call him before your stay and he will get it for you. He is also great at making suggestions. He's just very very knowledgeable. He can also arrange to have wine delivered to your villa. Or, if you are interested, he can do wine tastings at your villa as well. You can go to his website www.islandcork.com, email him at paul@islandcork.com, call him at 340-228-2090, or visit him at his shop, Island Cork, located in Mongoose Junction in the building behind Sun Dog Cafe, upper level.
Pia

Post by Pia »

"Do you find it worth your while to bring wine? Do you carry it on (HEAVY!) or check it? ($$$)" Northerngal - to answer your question you HAVE to check it as it is over 3oz so can't carry on.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties