Bringing Wine?

Travel discussion for St. John
Bob & Anita

Bringing Wine?

Post by Bob & Anita »

Is there any issues with bringing a case of wine via checked luggage from the US to USVI?
Bob & Anita
loria

Re: Bringing Wine?

Post by loria »

i have brought wine in checked luggage and it was not problem-- but not a full case -- i do think that there are restrictions on what can be brought personally -- one liter - or that is what frommers quotes (though i have simply packed it in a hard sided suitcase and not advertised the fact) you may want to contact someone in the business down there -- like island Cork in mongoose junction-- they may be able to tell you better -- or get you the wine you want .
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

We use the below Wine Check luggage that is designed to carry a case of wine. We often check these on airplanes bringing wine back from Napa, and even Europe. There will be 4 couples in our STJ group that all enjoy fine wine. In addition to rum drinking, we would very much like to bring some nicely aged wines from our cellars help us celebrate the 60th birthdays for 3 of us.

My understanding is that the US custom only checks your items going back to the US, but doesn't check luggage coming from the US to USVI. Is that correct?

Bob & Anita
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

There is no problem with Customs bringing that amount of wine in your luggage - as I answered on the STT forum ------ but to say they don't check any luggage coming into the USVI is certainly not the case - guns, drugs, people with outstanding warrants and other items both illegal and legal that are subject to taxes are often detected and apprehended or confiscated at our airports - CBP, ATF, VI Port Authority, VIPD and even the FBI are all agencies take a serious interest in what arrives via the baggage compartments.
loria

Post by loria »

exit zero -- are you sure? i have found conflicting stuff on that topic (though to be truthful I have never had wine taken from me on my way in -- though have not traveled with a case before )
https://us-virgin-islands.visahq.com/customs/ perhaps i am missing something ?
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
loria

Post by loria »

and for what its worth TSA ALWAYS goes thru my bags.....but not customs (as far as i know!)
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Thanks for the link - I sure have never had a problem - decades of picking up guests with a case of wine in luggage. Guess I have been lucky but no one has ever said anything and there are friends who bring more than a case for a sailing trip.
I am not advocating breaking the law.
kellijo

Post by kellijo »

Bring your wine. My husband sells wine and we bring 2 cases - in padded, cardboard wine shipping boxes - every summer. It's not a problem at all. Our food is ALWAYS inspected, but not the wine. Get the airline to mark it with fragile stickers. When you run out, Paul at Island Cork has a great selection!
loria

Post by loria »

exit zero-- i have never had an issue -- but as you said-- i am not advocating for anyone to break the law-- but also should one decide to -- be very aware ... that you might have you stuff confiscated or have to pay a stiff penalty .
RickG

Post by RickG »

We have brought cases of wine with zero issue. Yes, you can buy wine in the USVI, but we have had terribly heat shocked wine sold to us in retail and restaurants. It's worth bringing your own special bottles.

To be clear, the USVI is a free port with zero duty. BVI has 10% duty, including items for personal use.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
JenG

Post by JenG »

This past May we traveled as two couples with one couple flying Jet Blue BOS-STT and one couple flying US Air PVD -STT. We both checked our cases of wine packed in styrofoam wine shippers. No issues what-so-ever on either carrier. Well except that the JetBlue attendant threatened to confiscate our wine (jokingly) since she figured out we had some really good bottles inside. We were celebrating our 25th anniversary in style and really wanted our favorite wines to be part of the celebration. :D We'll probably do this again next year as it was so easy.

FYI - The shippers can be purchased through u-haul. We left ours near the dumpster and I'll bet someone scooped it up.
northerngal

Post by northerngal »

where did you end up staying with 4 couples?
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

northerngal wrote:where did you end up staying with 4 couples?
The Amorosa.
Bob & Anita
Betty

Post by Betty »

I bring down fine wine and champagne all the time without issue. I also bring all kinds of food in dry ice no problem. As long as TSA will accept it, you can check it.
northerngal

Post by northerngal »

Do you find it worth your while to bring wine? Do you carry it on (HEAVY!) or check it? ($$$) Love a good wine but not sure its worth the hassle.