Recent ruling on airport taxis

Travel discussion for St. John
liamsaunt

Recent ruling on airport taxis

Post by liamsaunt »

I was reading in the St. John Tradewinds that there was a recent ruling that all arrivals to the STT airport have to use the regular taxi service--so, prearranged business groups, people at Westin or Caneel, etc., can't have the previously available dedicated destination taxis waiting for them at the airport, and instead may have to make multiple stops on the way to their ferry/destination. Maybe I misread the article, but that doesn't seem very tourist-friendly to me. Link to the article is here:

http://www.stjohntradewindsnews.com/ind ... &Itemid=38

Note that you can still arrange for a private land/water taxi in advance, which, as I noted in my trip report, is what we will be doing from now on after our last experience.
promoguy

Tourist Friendly, Hah!!!

Post by promoguy »

I am always amazed that a territory that is almost entirely dependant on tourism and the big bucks that tourist bring to the island would do anything that might put a bad taste in the mouths of travellers. Crazy, but hey it's the USVI's, :D
Carolyn

sounds like a lousy plan to me!

Post by Carolyn »

Thanks for the link to the news article...I have to agree that there is a definite lack of consideration for the traveler and all thought going to the taxi conglomerate they hope to create. We have used the Westin service and I think I'd have to argue that it IS a pre-arranged deal...only thing lacking is a physical voucher/ticket ...it is all on record and arranged online. So they know who is scheduled for the transfer to Crown Bay Marina...maybe that would constitute "pre-arranged" in the taxi cue and we could still get there thru the private arrangement Westin and Caneel have had in place up until now. It all sounds like a real screwy mess...ugh! :?
chattycat

Post by chattycat »

That's crazy....I don't get it. Isn't an airport a public place? Why can't a hotel send their own cabs to pick up their own guests at an airport!?? :roll:
RonUSVI

Post by RonUSVI »

Not to worry. This problem is being worked on right now. The Port does have to send out a new request for proposals as their franchise runs out this year. The confusion was brought forward by a now ousted VI Taxi President. The new President is already trying to smooth out a lot of ruffled feathers. No one, outside of the most blatant offender, Ritz Carlton, has stopped their pick up procedures. The voucher system is still in place and is now more carefully monitored by the Port Authority. Things seem to be moving forward on this isssue.

RL 8)
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Thanks, Ron, that is good to know. :D
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

RonUSVI wrote:Not to worry. This problem is being worked on right now. The Port does have to send out a new request for proposals as their franchise runs out this year. The confusion was brought forward by a now ousted VI Taxi President. The new President is already trying to smooth out a lot of ruffled feathers. No one, outside of the most blatant offender, Ritz Carlton, has stopped their pick up procedures. The voucher system is still in place and is now more carefully monitored by the Port Authority. Things seem to be moving forward on this isssue.

RL 8)
When you say "most blatant offender", does that mean they were what? Picking up their clients or anyone waiting at the airport?

If they were picking up their guests only, why would you call them a blatant offender?

Curious minds would like to know.
patr

Post by patr »

How is it that the taxi drivers are such a demanding group?

Here on the mainland, the fare dictates where and when the cab will go. Not so on the islands, we had the same problem in the Bahamas. The cabbies tell you where you can go and when.

We had a heck of a time getting a cab to take us to the downtown ferry instead of Red Hook. I know it is much shorter ride and I guess they want to take everyone to RH to make more $$.

I absolutely cannot stand that cab ride; it makes me so nauseous! Image
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
RonUSVI

To Allan

Post by RonUSVI »

The Ritz went out and bought a bunch of big fully loaded SUVs to pick up their guests in. Trouble is they charged them a fee and weren't following the voucher system I am told.

RL 8)