Viewtiful?

Travel discussion for St. John
michigan girls

Viewtiful?

Post by michigan girls »

We are trying to book for our spring trip and are considering Viewtiful on Mamey Peak. It is a little above our budget - anyone have any insight on whether it's worth us bumping our budget up a bit?
papabou

Re: Viewtiful?

Post by papabou »

mg,

snorkel buddy, mack, and i stayed at viewtiful july 2013. we got last minute deal and allowed to use both bdrms at 2 person rate. ladies at private homes easy and pleasant to deal with.

likes: wonderful views all way to africa except for curvature of earth; clean and well equipped; decks for sun or shade; convenient location about 90 seconds from columbo smoothies stand and under 5 min to maho or shinny legs; half bath on great room level; doorside parking; i think fairly priced. we have stayed at casa bueno and summerwind on bordeaux and viewtiful views are better.

negatives: both bedrooms down outside stairs as are cold pool and hot tub; the roughly paved road is short but rough and requires 4 wh dr if raining; hangs over centerline rd so is some road noise in bdroom w/o ac.

other: very windy when we were there but then chantal just missed island. though feels remote is very close to treehouse and phomes owner's home and share same drive. she's older villa and a little dated but priced accordingly. would gladly stay there again if wife lets me return with mack. stayed in cruz bay our last 2 trips and time for east end and more free rum with smoothie at columbos.

papabou
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

Thanks for all the info! Cold pool doesn't bother me much - after all, I live in Michigan and my pool is open from May to September and never heated, so that's my normal.

Good to know about the road, I don't think that will bother me much, as we've stayed up Calabash Boom before without concern ;-)

Road noise I had not considered. When sitting out by the pool or on the deck is it bothersome? Not too worried about when I'm sleeping as I typically have a house full of teenagers so I'm used to sleeping through noise.

My number one factor when choosing a villa is the view, particularly for sunrise, so that drew me to this one. A little more than we wanted to spend for just two of us, but I've never stayed on Mamey before and I do like to try new areas.

I can't do the Cruz Bay thing again, just too busy for me - I'm typically a Coral Bay girl all the way.
papabou

Post by papabou »

mg,

you won't be disappointed with view. the bottom pic on ph web site doesn't do her justice. i believe you'd see sunrise 365 days a year since there is nothing to obstruct. standing near rail on upper deck gave me a feeling of flight.

road noise really wasn't an issue just different from every place else we've stayed on island where there was only frogs and roosters interupting the quiet. the bedroom pictured is smaller of 2 and doesn't have ac. the other bdrm has twins (but i believe can be made up as a king) runs long ways next to pool and is under a ledge from above so some shading but great views. the pool deck is small but plenty of room for 3 or 4 folks and is completely private unless you are hanging over the rail.

the "roughly paved " stretch of road is steep but only about 150 ft long with a sharp curve to left going up with good visibilty around curve. never any traffic except one nite coming down in rain and we met folks in a mini van coming up couldn't make it without a jeep towing a little. that section is very rough and must be ascended slowly.

papabou
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

I'm super annoyed. I've sent VRBO inquiries on this and a couple other properties, and I have directly emailed the management company mentioned in this thread and I have received no responses :evil:
northerngal

Post by northerngal »

Michigangals, where have you stayed in coral Bay Area? We are looking for a new place to stay
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

Christmas Cottage - very small and basic in the Carolina valley - but super affordable
Satinwood - Upper Carolina - lovely home with a pool and killer views. Totally off the grid - 3 bedrooms + 2 lofts
Drakes Lookout - Bordeaux Mountain - another lovely home with a pool and killer views. 3 bedrooms, one of them in a separate pod.
Giovanna's Garden - Calabash Boom - pretty basic with a great view and slightly challenging road and drive, pretty affordable, 1 bedroom plus a fold out bed in the living room
Moonstruck - Bordeaux Mountain - small and basic, but charming with a nice view and affordable. Kind of challenging driveway. 2 bedrooms (1 small attached and 1 decent size in a barely separated pod) and a fold out futon in the living room.

Satinwood and Drakes Lookout have been my favorite. I adored the view from Giovanna's, but it got old going up that road everyday and the neighboring home is pretty close. (same driveway) Moonstruck was very charming and the owners are great to deal with - I rented this home again last year for a few extra people who we added to our group late in the planning process. Christmas Cottage is the most affordable, and the smallest, but I love Marcia - the onsite owner and it was an easy, level drive.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

michigan girls wrote: Drakes Lookout - Bordeaux Mountain - another lovely home with a pool and killer views. 3 bedrooms, one of them in a separate pod.
It appears that Drake's Lookout is now listed as just a 2 bedroom:
http://www.vrbo.com/422673
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

Teresa_Rae wrote:
michigan girls wrote: Drakes Lookout - Bordeaux Mountain - another lovely home with a pool and killer views. 3 bedrooms, one of them in a separate pod.
It appears that Drake's Lookout is now listed as just a 2 bedroom:
http://www.vrbo.com/422673
Yeah, it was like that when we rented it as well - They do not do a good job with their marketing. If you look down to beds below, it shows all three bedrooms. The pod was an addition and they never updated their listing comments.
papabou

Post by papabou »

mg,

i rented from private homes 4 times w/o a problem; 3 times at natilus on maria bluff no longer rented and viewtiful once. all last minute and i just called and always had prompt call back. so last minute, we paid at arrival. it's a mother daughter team and as i recall the mother goes home to italy in fall.

papabou
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

Shortly after I posted, I got an email from them. When I hadn't heard back in so long I had sent out some other inquiries though, so now we have to weigh a couple more options before we decide. I'm definitely leaning towards Viewtiful though.
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

Looks like we have decided on Swogjan's Dragon. This one has been on our list for quite awhile, so when I got the quick response from them we decided it was time to try it. Plus, it has some extra room so if we get a person or two deciding to tag along at a later time we will be able to fit them in.