Off topic....Florida Keys

Travel discussion for St. John
ColoradoMom

Off topic....Florida Keys

Post by ColoradoMom »

I know, wrong page for this, but you people love the best place and really GET IT so advice here is worth a lot. Anyone explored the Florida Keys? Any advice? My big question is, for an 8 day trip this month, would you suggest staying in one location then driving to explore OR stay in a few different spots to explore in proximity to the lodging?
Yes there is somewhere I'd rather be going for 8 days but relationships can mean compromise. ;)
Thanks for any help!!!!!
Connie

Re: Off topic....Florida Keys

Post by Connie »

We have been down the Keys 3 times. Once just my husband and myself, once with 2-15 year olds and once with friends.

I think everyone should "do" the Keys once. It truly an amazing drive if you rent a car, which of course you have to.

We usually fly into Fort Lauderdale, rent a car, and we're off. The main Islands we stop at are Islamorada for off shore snorkeling. Then onto Marathon for some fishing. Next stop Key West. If you're going with young children, I wouldn't suggest Key West. There are really no rules down there :). You should consider flying out if Key West since you wouldn't have to drive back up the Keys. Also, when you get to Key West, you can ride bikes everywhere.

The Keys are really laid back, except for Key West. Nightlife there is an adventure. You will probably see things you've never seen before. If you have an open mind and a sense of humor, you'll be fine. We went to Fantasy Fest once and it was unbelievable.

Also keep in mind that the Keys are not known for their beaches. Bahia Honda is really nice and there's a few beaches in Key West. Other beaches? You have to do your research.

Anyway, go for it. Fun time.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
Connie

Post by Connie »

Also, if you go to the off top forum, Susan wrote a great blog about Key West. It's called "back for seconds"
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
ColoradoMom

Post by ColoradoMom »

Thanks!! Appreciate the help!
Adults only trip, so Key west here we come.
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

Connie wrote:Also, if you go to the off top forum, Susan wrote a great blog about Key West. It's called "back for seconds"
Thanks Connie for the plug :)
Yes I have been to Key West just as many times as St. John. It is completely different but we love it just as much. You can see my most recent trip report here (and if you go to the main menu I have a few more)

http://susannj.com/2015/07/24/back-for- ... -west-new/
ColoradoMom

Post by ColoradoMom »

Definitely booking with the seaplane adventures. Looks amazing; thanks Susan!