Friends of the Park Full Moon Hike to Ram Head

Travel discussion for St. John
DonBeyer

Friends of the Park Full Moon Hike to Ram Head

Post by DonBeyer »

Anyone ever done this? My wife and I have hiked to Ram Head and Drunk Bay on numerous occasions in daylight. Excellent, especially when the orchids are in bloom. Is this moonlight hike: a) a new way to sprain an ankle; b) another opportunity to ponder why we choose the things we do; c) a magical moonlit evening with a glimpse into the St. John that few visitors see; d)other? Insights appreciated.
Coconuts

Re: Friends of the Park Full Moon Hike to Ram Head

Post by Coconuts »

Don: I would heartily recommend that hike, when done under the auspices of the Friends of the Park, and assuming that you have both sturdy ankles, and good, one-per-person flashlights. I did it with a daughter and her boyfriend some years ago, without those conditions, and that was just plain crazy. We dropped my wife off to make johnnycakes at a full moon party at Miss Lucy's, and headed off to Salt Pond late in the day on the winter solstice. It gets dark early then, but hiking out to watch sunset from Ram Head was reasonably well lit and straightforward. The whole thing was a spur of the moment idea, though, and we didn't have any flashlights with us for after sunset. "Hey, there's a full moon, we'll have all the light we need", thought we. Naive, impulsive, and wrong! While we were waiting around for the full moon to rise at Ram Head, some kind souls joined us and lent us a flashlight, to be dropped off in their truck bed back at the parking lot. The full moon might have been sufficient to light our path by around midnight, but early in the evening, the bushes we were hiking through prevented it from shining on our path. The footings are all quite challenging in limited light, and with only one flashlight to share between the three of us, it took quite a while to get back. Had we not had that, we probably would have had to wait a few more hours for the moon to rise, or worse.

Lesson learned; proper planning and the right gear really does matter. With both, you could certainly enjoy the hike, although the return trip will be a bit more challenging than the way out. Personally, my Ram Head tastes run towards the daytime these days.

All the best,

Kevin
Pia

Post by Pia »

I'm not sure of the benefit of doing it with the park (as I have never done it with them) so I don't know if they explain different aspects of the trail like they do on the Reef Bay trail (which is well worth the money) however a group of us hiked up on our own and took snacks, cocktails etc and sat and enjoyed a picnic at the top and watched the full moon rise. At the same time the group hiking with the National Park arrived, stayed for about 5 minutes for photos and then left - personally after hiking up I would have wanted to stay longer but to be fair it did start raining (we all had a blast and sat under a neat sheet waiting for it to stop it was very funny about 10 of us sharing) so I'm not sure if the park cut it short or if that is normal. Do take flashlights if you go - we had headlights so an easy and light way of carrying them.

Hope this helps

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
inuny

Post by inuny »

I've done the hike twice and it's wonderful, magical. The first time we did it (about 9 pm in December) the moon was so bright that we used our flashlights only when necessary. The second time (in July) we had to use our flashlights the whole way-the clouds were coming and going.
DonBeyer

Post by DonBeyer »

Thank you all. I think we will try it and make a report on the forum. I will add that the Friends of the Park 2016 seminar schedule is out but the staff are not taking reservations at this time. They said probably the week of November 23.
Regards to all,
Don
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

I was fortunate to be with Pia when we did the full moon without the Park Service. As she mentioned, we brought food and drinks and each of us had water and our own flashlights. I highly recommend a headlamp as it leaves your hands free and they worked very well on the way back. It was beautiful to see the sun set and the moon rise!
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

So what time do you start for the full moon hike? We arrive that day and usually catch the 5 pm ferry By the time we get rental drop our stuff of probably would be at least 7 pm Is that too late? We have done the hike every time we have been at St John but never for full moon

I like the idea of a picnic if weather permits Once I get to the top I hate to leave
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Cindy: Wow, I'm impressed! After what has to be a very early rise and a long day of travel from Indiana, a taxi across STT, the ferry to St. John, getting your rental car, driving to and unloading at your villa, and driving out to Salt Pond, you are still considering a dark out and dark back Ram Head Hike? Not even the Donald could accuse you of being "low energy"! You would miss the sunset, but would have the benefit of a better lit path, as the moon would be a lot higher than for the sunset, moonrise, and back crowd. It could be magical, but if you are beginning to fade, be careful; theres no point in twisting an ankle. I'd say check your stamina, and make the call once you have made it to your villa. Their gravity can be strong...

All the best,

Kevin
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

Coconuts wrote:Cindy: Wow, I'm impressed! After what has to be a very early rise and a long day of travel from Indiana, a taxi across STT, the ferry to St. John, getting your rental car, driving to and unloading at your villa, and driving out to Salt Pond, you are still considering a dark out and dark back Ram Head Hike? Not even the Donald could accuse you of being "low energy"! You would miss the sunset, but would have the benefit of a better lit path, as the moon would be a lot higher than for the sunset, moonrise, and back crowd. It could be magical, but if you are beginning to fade, be careful; theres no point in twisting an ankle. I'd say check your stamina, and make the call once you have made it to your villa. Their gravity can be strong...

All the best,

Kevin
Ok Kevin you made me rethink and remember how tired we are when we get there. I always love going to Aqua Bistro and getting a drink and getting in island mode. Not worth risking a twisted ankle on first night of two week vacation.

The first time we came to St John we spent a week on Tortola and went to full moon party there. It was so much fun. Just have never been to St John when it was full moon. Maybe next time