Olympus TG-4 Camera

Travel discussion for St. John
Clemfan

Olympus TG-4 Camera

Post by Clemfan »

Hello. I know several people on this board have spoken of using the Olympus TG-4 with very good results and as I am heading there for the Thanksgiving week I wondered what anyone with experience would suggest for optional accessories for the camera. In particular I seem to remember reading that for underwater shots it is normally desired to have a "red filter" on the camera and I am not finding one for the camera. After that and I assume a float strap what other accessories does anyone highly suggest. Thanks in advance!
jimg20

Re: Olympus TG-4 Camera

Post by jimg20 »

I am not familiar with that particular camera. Having said that, many underwater cameras have a setting for underwater use. It is basically a built-in filter. Take a look at the paperwork and see if it shows up. If not, browse the menu for "setting."

Have fun

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

Joppa

Post by Joppa »

I don't know if you would consider it an accessory, but I would buy an extra battery, or two. Battery life is reported at 380 shots. That's really not a lot when your out and about on St.John.
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Clemfan: I have a TG-4, and really like it. The ability to shoot in raw and work underwater is unique among point and shoot cameras. The TG-4 does have several underwater modes with excellent color balance, so adding a filter to those would defeat their purpose, and redden the images. The TG-4 can accept standard filters (40.5 mm), provided that you purchase an Olympus CLA-T01 adapter:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... &A=details
This fits any of Olympus' TG cameras, including the TG-4. I use one to mount a circular polarizer to punch up contrast on the sky and clouds. I couldn't find any 40.5 mm underwater filters, but if you used adapter rings to get to a larger diameter, you could probably find one. Another option would be to have a white plastic target and set a custom white balance, but the easiest thing is to simply dial in an underwater mode, and start snorkeling!

All the best,

Kevin
Clemfan

Thanks all. Will start trying it next week!!

Post by Clemfan »

Bluestreak12

Post by Bluestreak12 »

I second the recommendation of extra batteries. We usually do a morning and afternoon snorkel and change the battery out at our villa. Be sure to soak it in tap water for 30 minutes to prolong the life of the rubber seals and also check to make sure there is no sand or other debris in it before closing up the battery compartment. We would take water and a bowl with us if we intended to not return to the villa to soak it.

Also, watch the underwater settings. One of them has a fixed focal length and can cause some photos to be out of focus if you're not careful. Don't be afraid to use the flash underwater for close up pictures of coral or small fish. I had some that came out really nice. It will tend to give you spots though if you use it for wider angle photos.

You can also get a macro flash accessory if that is something you're interested in. I think it runs about $35. Not sure if that is waterproof though.

Good luck and I hope you show us your pics when you get back.