Gluten Free?

Travel discussion for St. John
northerngal

Gluten Free?

Post by northerngal »

We are headed to STJ, staying on the Coral Bay side and wondering if anyone has had to deal with Gluten Free while on the island? we will probably do a couple meals at the villa but I love to eat out to live music and open air! Thanks!
loria

Re: Gluten Free?

Post by loria »

there is a pretty good selection of gluten fee items at Moes market in Red hook-- i have noticed several restaurants offering gluten fee options -- but i cannot recall the specific ones. :(
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
lpowmacback

Post by lpowmacback »

I am also gluten free and never have much of a problem with most restaurants - I simply know never to order anything I know to have gluten - soysauce, sauces, many dressings, obviously anything breaded - and ALWAYS ASK to make certain - even things that don't appear to be breaded often have been lightly dredged in flour. I'm a super clean eater- so ordering a salad, steamed, sauteed or roasted vegetables is no problem. :)
Peace,

Lisa
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I have celiac disease so I have to eat a very strict gluten free diet.

The only place I've had success eating gluten free on the Coral Bay side is The Tourist Trap. Well, and the smoothie truck...and while I could practically live on mango smoothies, I do prefer to consume more than just smoothies while on STJ. They're always good about cleaning the blender for me there (they have a cookies and cream smoothie, I think everything else is gluten free).

In Cruz Bay I do well at Cafe Roma, Rhumb Lines, Banana Deck, and Ocean Grill...I've eaten at each of those places many times without getting sick. If you want more specific info, I'm happy to help.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

We had good luck with the deli at Marketplace (Sam & Jack's?) and Cruz Bay Landing. Starfish also had a good selection of GF foods Hint: if you see something you might want, buy it now. They run out and it takes some time for them to replenish.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....