Coqui hate?

Travel discussion for St. John
Agent99

Coqui hate?

Post by Agent99 »

A little off topic but I thought interesting to share:

The sound of the coqui is one of those sweet memories I have of drifting off to sleep in my happy place. Not native to Hawaii, it appears the coqui is upsetting the eco balance and a bunch of residents in Hawaii.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... o-despair/
equineannie

Re: Coqui hate?

Post by equineannie »

I heard them while there as well. They are an evasive species, with no know predators. They reproduce quickly and the rainy season speeds things up.

They sound cool but are really wrecking havoc with the native species. Interesting read, thanks for sharing.
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

Coqui have been spread to St. John on imported non-native plants. Their introduction to STJ seemed to start with the construction and landscaping of the Hyatt (now Westin) on the south shore and have spread out from there.

The housing boom also imported them. Everyone wanted beautiful non native flowers for their landscape.

They are now on Bordeaux Mountain in small numbers.

I don't hate Coqui but I would prefer to hear them on Puerto Rico where they are loved.
dctac

Post by dctac »

If you think about it. We love St John, but we are also invasive species! So we were their ticket to paradise. Who are we to deny a frog's happiness..
scrumblin

Post by scrumblin »

Too funny...
On our trip a few years back...I was majorly wound up on the first night apparently.
Too much computer stuff at work...details and numbers and codes. All night long I was dreaming of the keyboard--and I kept pressing delete, delete, delete--but it never worked. I finally woke up at about 3am when I realized the power was out--for real--it was so hot and really dark--all the way across to St. Thomas. And then I heard it--the Coqui--it sounded like "delete, delete, delete". Everytime I hear them now it reminds me of that night. But now it lulls me into a peaceful trance instead...