$$$$$ ferry to Jost?

Travel discussion for St. John
parafins

$$$$$ ferry to Jost?

Post by parafins »

Hello forum family, I was shocked to see the ferry rates round trip from St.John to Jost. Am I reading it right? $80.00 ? I might be better off with a trip on the Bad Kitty for $155.00 and get to visit the Bathes,Norman, and Jost with drinks and snacks included.
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
Exit Zero

Re: $$$$$ ferry to Jost?

Post by Exit Zero »

Does that include the $20 BVI departure tax - and does Bad Kitty $155 include BVIC&I fees? worth looking into.
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

Also when doing your comparison, don't forget to add the ~$31 tip (~20%) for Bad Kitty. We have done it both ways (i.e. Cloud 9 twice and Stormy Petrel once) and the passenger ferry to JVD twice - which was a nice way to maximize our time on JVD.
Image[/url]
parafins

Post by parafins »

Very good advice. I guess the extra fee's never entered my thoughts. Keep in mind that
I haven't been to St.John since 2011 and I might be a little out of touch. Some good
news though, I plan on returning next July! I hope to stay 2 weeks!! Airfare seems
to be in reason, and i'm thinking about taking a inflatable Kayak with me. I tested
it in our creek and it preformed very well. It fits into a backpack and weighs 24
lbs.
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
RickG

Post by RickG »

parafins, the ferry to Jost is certainly not cheap. Sundays it leaves later, so you can spend more time there.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Pia

Post by Pia »

$80.00 plus BVI Departure fees (paid upon leaving the BVI before you get on the ferry) of $20 (might be more now for some reason I thought it ended up being $110 total last time I left)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
RickG

Post by RickG »

Pia, did they institute a $10 USVI departure fee?

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Pia

Post by Pia »

Yes I think so Rick
Realtor - St John Properties
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

But I think the USVI charge is included in the ticket - not assessed at a separate window like the BVI, ??
Summerlover

Post by Summerlover »

I am following this thread, we are weighing in our options to get to Jost. We have done the charter which was fantastic but this time, just want to get there and explore for the day, nothing else.
So to me if in fact the ferry is $80 and no other charges, then it sounds reasonable.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there one day that your stay is a bit longer? Thinking Sunday??
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

Correct - Sunday is the best - leave CB 8:30am, leave JVD 5:30pm. Next best is Mon., Wed., Sat. - 8:30am-4:00pm. Friday is shortest 8:30am-3:00pm.

http://www.vinow.com/travel/virgin-isla ... schedules/
Image[/url]
parafins

Post by parafins »

Maybe I should go down when Rick is there and pay him to ride in his fancy sailboat! If any of you have had the chance to hang around him, he's a blast! Never a dull moment.
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

summerlover " So to me if in fact the ferry is $80 and no other charges, then it sounds reasonable."

There is also a $20 BVI departure paid separately.

And Pia said:

Postby Pia » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:28 pm
$80.00 plus BVI Departure fees (paid upon leaving the BVI before you get on the ferry) of $20 (might be more now for some reason I thought it ended up being $110 total last time I left)
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

:lol: We look at the same thing only in reverse. Need to get back to St John on one of our trips to the islands.
brenda

Post by brenda »

Yep, Rick and Christine are great peeps!!! I had the pleasure of sailing on de Life! We had so much fun :).
Going "home" again October 26th!