Sport fishing

Travel discussion for St. John
ihochman

Sport fishing

Post by ihochman »

Hi all,
It's been a while since I've been the forum and I hope everyone is well. I'm writing because we're coming down in March with my nephew and he would love to do some sport fishing from a boat for 1/2 a day. He doesn't want to rent his own boat but would rather be part of a group outing. Does anyone know of any place that rents that way where he could be part of a larger group??? Thanks
GratefulDad

Re: Sport fishing

Post by GratefulDad »

I went out with Doubleheader Sport Fishing last April. There was another couple, which I met on this forum, myself and my son. We split the cost of the 1/2 day trip evenly. Too bad you were not going in April or we would join him. Half day trip is $600 plus tip. They keep most of the fish but they give you some to take home.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Check out Capt. Cleve at localflavorcharters.com or Capt. Tyler at rockhoppin.com. I've had friends out with both and they were quite happy. Out of Frenchtown on St. Thomas, Capt. Alvin is a big producer fishinginstthomas.com.

For pelagic fish like mahi and tuna we generally head to the south drop, the place south of the VI where the depth goes from 100ft to 1,000+ ft. Its a bit of a ride. We had very good luck between St. Thomas and Culebra in October on our sailboat.

If you want to keep some of your catch, make arrangements ahead of time. We find a couple of pounds per person to be enough for 3 meals.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
dctac

Post by dctac »

I did doubleheader last year with my son.I think we did a 3/4 day? But we did go to the north drop. Maybe 20 Mahi , no tuna , but my son got a 50 lb wahoo... Captin was a good guy (forget his name but he was from NJ) The smile and look on my son's face was priceless! We did the center console, way more enjoyable than the big boat....Took the wahoo home, tipped the capt $200. and gave him the chicken Mahi