One Particular Harbor vs Sunnyledge

Travel discussion for St. John
TraumaQueen

One Particular Harbor vs Sunnyledge

Post by TraumaQueen »

Good morning! We are doing the dreaded villa search for our June trip and have been surprised at how many villas are already booked. Has anyone stayed at OPH or Sunnyledge recently? I know these are drastically different villas in regards to pool and location. Our dilemma is we have always had a pool and used it in the afternoons, but I've always wanted to stay near Francis and be able to walk there. We stayed at Blue Bay View right up the hill from OPH last June and liked the location, but Francis is calling to me.

If anyone could share their experiences with these villas I'd greatly appreciate it!
Bluestreak12

Re: One Particular Harbor vs Sunnyledge

Post by Bluestreak12 »

I stayed at OPH a couple of years ago. Loved the villa and the view is awesome. The sliding doors open up the view into the main living area and it was nice to have AC in the bedroom. Pool was chilly though if that's important. This was in July also, so it would probably be even chillier in June. I'm going in June also. Maybe I'll see you at Francis!

I don't know if you know this, but Astral Ridge is under new management. Looks like they are no longer renting out them separately. I really loved it there and appreciate the advice you gave me before we booked it. :)
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I don't think that Sunnyledge is walkable to Francis, at least not unless there is a trail down to the beach from the house that I am unaware of. It's quite a hilly hike to the house if you are going via the road, especially if you have beach gear.

Just my perspective having rented two other houses on Francis, one walkable to the beach (Francis Bay Estate) and one not so much (On a Clear Day).
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Do you know where Maho Bay camps used (sniff, sniff) to be? Sunnyledge is on the road up to the camps, just before the camps. It would be quite a walk to get to Francis.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
TraumaQueen

Post by TraumaQueen »

Thank yall so much! The boys are leaning more towards a pool. I'm looking at Ilios now.
TraumaQueen

Post by TraumaQueen »

Bluestreak12 wrote:I stayed at OPH a couple of years ago. Loved the villa and the view is awesome. The sliding doors open up the view into the main living area and it was nice to have AC in the bedroom. Pool was chilly though if that's important. This was in July also, so it would probably be even chillier in June. I'm going in June also. Maybe I'll see you at Francis!

I don't know if you know this, but Astral Ridge is under new management. Looks like they are no longer renting out them separately. I really loved it there and appreciate the advice you gave me before we booked it. :)
Wow! Is Astral still on the rental market? That's a special place to us. How was OPH compared to Astral? We are still considering it, but the chilly pool may be a deciding factor if we need one.
CinnBay

Post by CinnBay »

Ilios was the first villa my husband and I stayed in on our first trip in June 2007. Loved it!! See below for the blue chair he made me with the entrance to Ilios painted on the back. We will make it back to Ilios one day.
Close up of the painted Ilios entrance.
Close up of the painted Ilios entrance.
Attachments
My extra special blue chair.
My extra special blue chair.
TraumaQueen

Post by TraumaQueen »

CinnBay wrote:Ilios was the first villa my husband and I stayed in on our first trip in June 2007. Loved it!! See below for the blue chair he made me with the entrance to Ilios painted on the back. We will make it back to Ilios one day.
Painting Close-up.JPG
WOW! That is a gorgeous chair! Can he make a lime green one with Francis Bay on it for me? :mrgreen:
Bluestreak12

Post by Bluestreak12 »

I prefer Astral Ridge over OPH. I liked the layout better along the openness of the patio and how it seemed to connect well with the landscaping. The pool was much warmer at Astral Ridge. My wife only dared to get in a couple of times due to the temp at OPH but it was perfect at AR. The view is higher at OPH but I liked AR view better due to not having villas close by. It just seemed perfect to us. Looks like you can still rent it though but only together with the upper villa. So sad. We've been there the last two years and would certainly have gone back again.
jpm

Post by jpm »

As the owner of Ilios, I love CinnBay's post with the chair. You made my day!
TraumaQueen

Post by TraumaQueen »

Thanks everyone for your replies. Since we are taking the teens the adults picked a few we could afford and let the boys decide. Blue Palm Villa won! Looking forward to our June Trip!
maryellenS

Post by maryellenS »

Stayed at OPH both in 2010 and last May. Love this villa! There is no better view on St John than the mid day view from the deck. Pool is private and plenty warm, esp. in the afternoon. Great house for a family. We had our three children with us. It's their favorite house, so close to North Shore beaches, smoothie van and wonderful Coral Bay. Love OPH!!