Car Ferry

Travel discussion for St. John
gmanka

Car Ferry

Post by gmanka »

Having rented vehicles on STT for the last couple of years and having good luck with ferries etc. I was surprised to learn that the Mister B was apparently seized by creditors and may now be out of service. Will be on island in 3 weeks so am concerned if this impacts service between islands. Has anyone heard the status of the ferry service as I do not want to be sitting at Red Hook with a Jeep of people and luggage and no ferry?
Teresa_Rae

Re: Car Ferry

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Things don't sound good. Apparently the ferry is going to be sold.

Now would be a really good time for a wealthy STJ lover to step in and make a purchase.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
KAY

Post by KAY »

We just returned Wednesday and had no problems getting on at the times we wanted. On the 17th we were on Boyson and 27th Love City.
loria

Post by loria »

apparently from what i have heard -- Love City has taken a barge they generally keep at Sub base and brought it over to red hook -- so there are three barges running -- i have heard various reports that they are running on the top of the hour in both directions -- or filling up and going-- if you aren't returning on a saturday -- i think you will be fine -- i know that on Saturday (the 16th) there was one down(the general 2) and the saturday after that that as well -- and they were both crazy days--
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
kklay

Post by kklay »

It's always best to plan on taking an earlier barge than what you need especially for the return trip to the airport. You never know when one goes out of service needing repairs or when you might run into some heavy barge traffic.
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

Best to rent your vehicle on St. John. Then you don't have to worry about the barges.

The barges are always breaking down. We never know for sure how many will be running on a given day. The passenger ferries run a reliable schedule.

If you are using the barges, get there plenty early. 30 minutes before desired departure is advisable.
poidog

Post by poidog »

"surprised"? Sorry I just had a good laugh. Nothing should surprise you don't here. You can't make half this sh*t up.

You weren't on Boysons as that is the Mr B. Currently, Love City, mr Vic and island Vic, and Global, the general, are doing the route so no schedules have been impacted. They're running about every 30 minutes. Love city and global has reciprocity with each others tickets, so it's ok to buy the round trip.
Follow our building blog @ Seas the Day Villa STJ