Asking for a friend - STT resort recs?

Travel discussion for St. John
lark22

Asking for a friend - STT resort recs?

Post by lark22 »

Hi all!

Sorry to post in the STJ forum -- I'm a longtime forum member and STJ devotee, but I know nothing about STT, and I know that many of you do, so I thought I'd post here.

My SIL and fam are going to STT for April vacation and they want my advice on resorts. Unfortunately, all I know about St. Thomas is the the drive to/from the ferry! Any recommendations? I think my SIL leans to resorts with restaurants on the premises (they have kids and won't want to travel for meals).

Any suggestions are appreciated!

(Anthony, if you need to delete or move this post, that's okay; I was just hoping that more people would see it here...)
loria

Re: Asking for a friend - STT resort recs?

Post by loria »

i have friends that have stayed at the marriot frenchman's and other show stayed at the ritz-- and then other who's stayed somewhere else (i will find out!)

both the marriott and the ritz got high marks -- i will find out about the other
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
equineannie

Post by equineannie »

Sapphire is very nice with a lovely beach. Bluebeards Beach is excellent as well but I think their restaurant is only breakfast and lunch. There rooms do have full kitchens and its a very shot drive to a good grocery. Plus they have a water sports facility there. Frenchman's Reef is also very nice.
loria

Post by loria »

ok-- my friend stayed at point pleasant -- said the views are killer -- the walking is steep though-- and while it is a bit dated (they were in a condo-- not sure if the whole place is condo's or not) it was perfectly fine. it was also in a reasonable price range (but not all the amenities of a larger /posher resort)
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I have stayed at Secret Harbor three or four times and Marriott Frenchman's Reef once. They are very different but I liked both.

Secret Harbor only has one restaurant and I have not eaten there since it was Blue Moon so cannot comment on the food. I did enjoy the snorkeling there. The layout is apartment style, which would be nice with kids--parents can get their own bedroom. There are two tiers of lodging. I would choose the ones on the beach, the other tier is high up on a hill.

There are more activities and restaurants at the Marriott. I know I dined at at least four different places on site, and all were fine to delicious. I think they have a kids club. The beach there is pretty, and there are lots of free loungers and umbrellas for hotel guests. I did not try snorkeling there so can't comment on that. The pool is large and has a splash pool area if the kids are really young.

There is an activity center on site that will book anything they want to do: night kayaking , parasailing, scuba, boat trips, spa treatments, etc. We had a corner ocean view room, and I really enjoyed watching the cruise ships go in and out of the harbor.

I liked Havana Blue (one of the restaurants on site) enough that I suggested to John that we stay at the Marriott again for a couple of nights on our upcoming trip so we could dine there. (We are going to Caneel instead though).
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
lark22

Post by lark22 »

Thank you all so much -- this is amazingly helpful!!

I'd been trying to sift through TripAdvisor reviews, but that can be sort of harrowing...it's much better to get advice from trusted folks who know what they're talking about, like you all :D

I'll pass this info along; she'll be so grateful. Again, many thanks!!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

See my response under the STT for one night thread, I somehow posted under the wrong thread!
lark22

Post by lark22 »

Got it -- thanks so much! :D