STT recomnendations for one night

Travel discussion for St. John
CHM

STT recomnendations for one night

Post by CHM »

We are arriving on a Friday night in September. Our villa on St. John (Sopra Mare) begins on Saturday, so we will need lodging for one night. The Marriott looks very nice, but I really don't want to pay a $45 resort fee when we will only be sleeping there. Any suggestions?
gmanka

Re: STT recomnendations for one night

Post by gmanka »

I have done this a number of times staying one or two nites on STT before going over to STJ. I have stayed at the Island View Guest House and the Green Iguana. Both basic and reasonably priced and the owners are very accommodating. Island View has very good food and an honor bar plus a great view of the harbor. It's closer to the airport. Green Iguana is just above the 99 steps in the downtown area. IMHO both are good options.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

We have used the Emerald Beach Resort. It was, until recently, a Best Western. They removed that title last fall. I will be using them on the way home in July when I have the AA 0800 departure out of STT. It has always been a good room at a reasonable price and the service is good.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

I agree with Jim...I've been happy with Emerald Beach. We will be staying there at the end of our upcoming trip. I should add that I don't have any first hand knowledge of the others but I like the beach location and being able to walk to the airport.
Image[/url]
loria

Post by loria »

i know of an air bnb by red hook -- it's not luxury -- but clean and looks nice (i have not stayed there-- but have spoken to the owner
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

We stayed at Emerald Beach last fall due to a plane problems out of MIA, which caused us to miss the ferry. Probably would not stay again. Plumbing problems (had to switch rooms) and bad A/C, just our opinion. Would recommend the Crystal Palace, have not stayed there but know the owner. Great reviews, wish we had contacted Ronnie last fall. I believe he might offer pick up service, but not sure. Check them out!

Happy Planning!

Jan
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We stayed at the Marriott on the way to Caneel in June. We stayed in the regular hotel tower and the room was fine for a short stay but was in need of a refresh. I wish we would have stayed down on the beach in the Morning Star area but overall, it was a nice stay.

The grounds are very pretty and the views were nice. We ate at Havanna Blue and I agree 100% with liamsaunt, it was just wonderful. I would stay there again just to eat there! We took the resort shuttle done and back, it was quick and easy. We also enjoyed our lunch on the main terrace at the hotel.

It isn't my style of place for vacation but from what you describe your sil is seaking, it might work well for that family. The Marriott is close to coral world and I think there is a free water taxi to downtown. There was a fairly well stocked mini market type of store in the lobby with drinks, snacks, wine, beer, beverages, etc.

A travel agent I work with said she gets very, very god feedback about the Ritz Carlton.
Suziekue

Post by Suziekue »

We're doing the same thing in November, I've booked at the Marriott but wondered if there was a better choice. I'd like it to be somewhere nice since it's the first night of vacation. Now that I've read these posts probably should go to Havana Blue for dinner, last time they were having a private party a wedding I think. On previous trips I stayed at Crystal Palace (it wasn't for me) and the Marriott.
Soarin' with the eagles all week long, and this is all that we've learned about living - VACATION!

CHM

Post by CHM »

Thank you!
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

We haven't done this in a few years but when we were in your position then, we stayed at the Crystal Palace. http://www.crystalpalaceusvi.com/ In the past, Ronnie Lockhart the proprietor picked us up at the airport, and in the morning we walked down to the ferry for STJ, no cabs. Ronnie himself is a delight and the rates were reasonable. It is not the Ritz but it is only for one night.
equineannie

Post by equineannie »

Two Sandals By The Sea is a lovely little b & b right near Red Hook. I lived there, for a month, when I relocated to the island. Owners are lovely, the breakfast excellent and it is a very short walk to Red Hook.
Suziekue

Post by Suziekue »

I was advised by a work colleague today to make our way over to STJ and stay at the Westin. It's not cheap but neither is the Marriott on STT. I think we might do that this time.
Soarin' with the eagles all week long, and this is all that we've learned about living - VACATION!

CinnBay

Post by CinnBay »

I would also recommend Crystal Palace. Enjoyed Ronnie's company and being close to shopping and restaurants.
BAILEYBAY

Post by BAILEYBAY »

Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel is just steps from the ferry dock and close to all the bars and restaurants in Cruz Bay. Its fresh and clean and you also get breakfast included. No need for a taxi. Denise is a pleasure ....her number is 340-642-1702
toni

Post by toni »

We have stayed a number of times on St. Thomas before/after STJ trips or heading to the BVIs.

Emerald Beach
Crystal Palace
Green Iguana
Windward Passage
Mafolie

Picked each for different reasons.

Windward Passage has been our go to lately primarily since it's closest to the BVI ferry. Rooms are good, especially the water facing ones. Convenient to walk downtown for shopping/food. Big pool area if that matters. We have stayed there a number of times.

Emerald Beach we liked for the tail end of the trip and the proximity to walking to the airport (we travel pretty lightly). It might be nice for a beginning too since it's right on the beach and to get you into the beach vibe of your trip.

Crystal Palace we didn't particularly care for, though the location was nice with a beautiful view of the harbor.

Mafolie-beautiful vista of Charlotte Amalie, restaurant was great too. Probably not good just for a one night stay prior to STJ though.

Green Iguana, it's been a long time since we were here, but it was convenient, nice view and people who ran it were good.

On STJ we've stayed at the Tamarind Inn several times prior to villas. Proximity to Cruz Bay is nice. Rooms are simple but fine.

Enjoy your decision!