It won't be long.....

Travel discussion for St. John
parafins

It won't be long.....

Post by parafins »

Its been a long while since iv'e been on the rock(2011) This year has been tough
for me with the long hours I put in at both of my jobs. I'm planing a visit this July
for 2 weeks and have been checking out airfare from Chicago. I've found Google Flights and it looks like pricing might be under $340 round trip. This is great seeing
that I paid $308 back in 2011. I'll keep you updated on my plans.
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
kklay

Re: It won't be long.....

Post by kklay »

That fare looks wonderful! From Ohio we usually pay in the $600 to $700 range.
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

Yay Parafins! Glad you are getting back. 2011 was a good year, that was my first visit to the Rock.

Enjoy!
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

5 years is a long time... Good to hear you are getting back on the island.

If I remember correctly, you loved Maho Bay Camps. Of course, they are no longer there... Do you know where you will be staying? Wherever it is, I imagine you couldn't be happier to be back on St. John. We weren't sure if we could return this off-season but we've pushed to make it happen. Wish we could be on island at the same time.

Happy, happy planning!
parafins

Post by parafins »

I'm planning on staying @ Cinnamon Bay Camps.If I go alone it will be a bare site and i'll bring my hammock w/ the netting. If I can talk my dad into going it will be their tent or cottage. If Maho Camps was up and running I would be there,but it is what it is. My stay will be 2 weeks, starting the 2 week of July. My plans are to stay on Jost for 3 day's so that I can tour with Jost Van Dyke Scuba. I so need this trip! Just to let you know how burned out I am last week I logged in over 80 hours. Will any of you be there this July?
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
awardb

Post by awardb »

Air fares: As noted by kklay above, we're from Ohio and it's always $600-$700 RT. I read this forum, and long for the $300-$400 fares I see other fliers routinely get. I understand how airfare pricing works, but.....seriously? We have a choice of 2-3 airlines, with 1-stop service to STT, but the price is always sky-high. Lowest I think we ever found was about $550, and on the other end, we've paid as much as almost $800.
AwardB
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. - Lewis Carroll
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Congratulations on your return! Your reprieve from "real life" will be so sweet! I'll bet you find someone to go with you. Twice now, I've planned solo trips and found a traveling companion - and loved it!
You've done the camping thing before, haven't you? At Cinnamon Bay? If not, I've baresite camped at Cinnamon, if you have any questions!
Happy planning :)
parafins

Post by parafins »

If I can talk my father into going I might upgrade to the campgrounds tent or cottage. Maybe, just maybe I can talk my dad into one magic day at Caneel Bay Resorts. My wife and I chose the Hyatt over Caneel back in '94 but I regret not staying at Caneel for a couple of day's. We loved the Hyatt at the time but the grounds of Caneel are stunning. I'm still shopping for airfare, it's the first thing I buy before booking a place to stay. Any yes i'm packed and ready to go!!!
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
parafins

Post by parafins »

Finally airfare is within reach! I'm trying to get a final answer from my dad on if he's going. I gave him a deadline of this Thursday. I have to jump on these prices. $328 round trip from O'Hare! I'm going to be a wreck all week.
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
parafins

Post by parafins »

I told you it won't be long and i'm right. I just booked tickets for my dad and I to visit in July. Of course it wasn't easy getting my dad to tag along. (He wanted to go for only a week and I need more time than that) So I booked one way tickets on July 8th for the both of us. He will fly back on the 15th and me on the 20th. All went well on booking except for dad. Leaving STT on Friday without getting hammered on price was tough. I found a good deal for him, so I thought but he goes over to MIami (8:30 p.m.) and stays the night. Oops! But I think this will be good. He fly's out the next morning and arrives at O'hare before 11 a.m. Otherwise it would have been midnight plus a 2-1/2 hour drive home! Even I don't like that and i'm 51 years old. I'll keep you posted, have a good day.
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...