Insect Repellent suggestions?

Travel discussion for St. John
SuefromMA

Insect Repellent suggestions?

Post by SuefromMA »

Hi,
Any suggestions for Insect Repellent to protect against no-seeums and mosquitos?
Thanks!
Sue
kklay

Re: Insect Repellent suggestions?

Post by kklay »

Deep woods off, something with a high percentage of deet in it.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

We had a good deal of success with Off Clip-ons. The put out a cloud of repellent about 12 feet in diameter. When one is sitting in a chair, on the beach on the neat sheets r standing at the grille, they work very well. They do not help you with insects if you are moving about such as hiking. We would put out the neat sheet and set a couple on the sheet while we went snorkeling. When we came back, the area was clear. The same thing at the grille. Go out and light the fire and start one or two clip-ons. When you come back out the area will be clear.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

GidgetPicklebrain

Post by GidgetPicklebrain »

According to Consumer Reports testing, Both Sawyer Picardin and Repel Lemon Eucalyptus are more effective than Deep Woods Off, which ranked third. Both Sawyer and Repel use less toxic ingredients, Off uses DEET. I prefer Repel because it won't harm my fishing gear, but it does have a fairly strong eucalyptus scent. Sawyer has the lightest scent of the three.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/maga ... /index.htm
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. - Confucius

iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

If I am going to put a chemical on my body, I prefer Picaridin. It is not as greasy or smelly as Deet.

However, I prefer to avoid chemicals. When the skeeters and no see ums start biting, usually at dusk, I put on long pants and sleeves. The best protection available. It's the island way.
RickG

Post by RickG »

I've developed an allergy to DEET, so none for me. For other reasons, we do not allow any DEET on our boat as it can stain the upholstery and melt plastic.

We've been using the Repel 15% Picaridin for years. Sadly, they no longer make it. We switched to the Natrapel 20% Picaridin and it works well. Gidget, thanks for the tip, we'll try the Sawyer Picaridin. We still stock the Repel Lemon Eucalyptus on the boat and it works well, if a little greasy.

Its good to see an IR3535-based product in the evaluation. CDC has tested IR3535 and its promising. Cutter Advanced was not reviewed and it has been a good product for us that is available in the VI.

A lot of people swear by DEET. It works for them. For me, no. The reaction is pretty bad, my feet and hands swell like a cartoon characters. It takes over a week for the symptoms to go away. So, no DEET for Sweet Christine, unless she wants to bathe before she gets on the boat.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
thompson27502

Post by thompson27502 »

We always spray our clothes with this before going. Good though several washes.

https://www.rei.com/product/751264/sawy ... e_PLA_GOOG
54b

Post by 54b »

Would certainly not recommend DEET if you're allergic or have some other ill reaction, but we've found success using a very concentrated version of DEET, like over 95% DEET. It's a small bottle, think of it like DEET cologne. And I apply it to my skin like cologne...ankles, backs of knees, elbows, back of neck and under chin. And it has worked like a charm with no adverse affects that I know of though it might be worth a little more research if you're concerned.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/repel-1 ... -repellent
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
awardb

Post by awardb »

We second the motion for the Sawyer products. We used it last summer on STJ, and it worked much better than the DEET products we've used in the past. Specfically, we used this: Sawyer Products Premium Insect Repellent with 20% Picaridin. The performance was far better than anything we've used in the past. We're ordering some now for our August trip.
AwardB
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. - Lewis Carroll
SuefromMA

Post by SuefromMA »

Thank you so much. Sawyer 20% Picaridin it is. Thank you SOOO much.
17 days and counting....!!!
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

what's a "neat sheet"?
kklay

Post by kklay »

https://www.grandtrunk.com/products/par ... ic-blanket

Here is a LINK to what a "neat sheet" or "parasheet is.
bnsilly

Post by bnsilly »

I would love to know of a repellant that worked great and has all natural ingredients. Anyone know of anything?
awardb

Post by awardb »

While all of us would love to have an insect repellent that works with all natural ingredients, I don't think it exists. While you will find testimonials from individuals that claim that various natural concoctions are effective, I would note that professional testing organizations such as Consumer Reports and many others have not found any "natural" insect repellents that even begin to approach the performance of their highest-rated products.

My 2 cents, anyway.
AwardB
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. - Lewis Carroll