Favorite place to stay where you can walk to town

Travel discussion for St. John
michigan girls

Re: Favorite place to stay where you can walk to town

Post by michigan girls »

Patrick - does the construction next door affect the views from Battery Hill? Just wondering if I should remove it from our list of possible re-visits.
PatrickMcc

Post by PatrickMcc »

I don't think it does. The house is to the left of Battery Hill (but right next door) as you are facing Battery Hill from Frangipani Street. I think that it would have to be in front of Battery Hill to block the views although it might block some views from windows on the left side of Battery Hill. My memory is that all the balconies at Battery Hill faced directly toward Cruz Bay Harbor or Cruz Bay.I am pretty sure that we had a clear view of Battery Hill from down on Cruz Bay beach. Sorry I can't be more definitive. Maybe you could ask the manger/rental company. The companies I have dealt with including the managers of Star Villa have always been honest about the downsides of rentals.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

We've stayed at Gallows a few times and liked it very much. Easy walk to town. We haven't stayed at Grande Bay but we've looked at the property. It looks nice also. Gallows has its own little beach area and you can snorkel from there.
mahofan

Post by mahofan »

Hands down, Grande Bay via VRBO. The condo called Beautiful Morning is outstanding. We have stayed in it twice. Owner very nice and helpful. Also has management company that will have a vehical in your reserved parking spot when you arrive, so no hassels at all regarding that. The 3br units at Grande Bay have plenty of space which is really nice to have with a family.
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

For me & my wife, its Gallows (dating back to `94.) Good & responsive staff. Comfy for a couple. Quiet (much better than it used to be before A/C.) Good snorkeling. Well-equipped amenities (beach chairs, laundry, appliances, etc.)

Not all roses. Had our Amalie Jeep's bumper dented 2 years ago in the lower parking lot. Probably from someone at the restaurant. (Thanks Visa CC insurance!) WiFi (yes, my wife needs to be connected) hit or miss. Not the best water pressure.

Love the informal 'social hour' poolside in late afternoons. Love sitting on our deck, with Painkillers & snacks, watching the PM 'Rush Hour' of boats racing each other to Customs.

And love acting like two silly teenagers, jumping off the raft.

Guess I should be looking for check airfares. :wink:

JM
"The exuberance of youth pales in comparison to a middle-age crisis."
pipergal

Post by pipergal »

I would highly recommend Grande Bay- 2 bedroom unit would give your kids nice space and it's flat to town, secure,parking, gym, pool, hot tub - and I believe you can get one in your budget. Check out VRBO 813243 - Jim and Marsha are lovely owners to deal with - this unit is in a great location and they are hands on owners. Good luck with your search!
Pipergal
cliffnchristi

Post by cliffnchristi »

Lavender Hill has a generator. When we were there in 2013, the power was out in Cruz Bay for 2 days....was never an issue at LH....AC was still cranking out cold air and we had lights, water, etc....that in itself is worth extra $$ to me.
Heidi76

Post by Heidi76 »

Thanks for all your suggestions! We spent some time checking them all out and decided to book at Grande Bay! We are so so excited to have our next trip to St. John on the calendar and think it's going to be a fun change to be right in town! :D