Advice on snorkel fins

Travel discussion for St. John
thompson27502

Re: Advice on snorkel fins

Post by thompson27502 »

My advice is twofold -

1 - If it's a gift and some thing you want to do for your husband, or as a couple (a splurge) go for it. Assess the budget and get recommendations within that range.

2 - Lots of people have professional and pro-sumer versions of things, but lots of people don't. For instance, I am an IT professional so my computer gear may be a bit more high-end than what my relatives may use to read email and surf the web. My wife is a nurse, so our first aid kits and med drawers may look different than someone else's. A professional chef may choose/recommend more high end appliances and equipment than a non-pro, but we all make dinner.

I realized that I'm not able to snorkel 4-5 days a week (more like 4-5 days a year) so my gear reflects that. Is it high-end? Nope. But I've had it 3 years and taken it in my luggage to St. John for 3 years. In the end, I've had a blast each time.

Here's our gear: http://www.target.com/p/speedo-adult-hy ... Slot=_1_11 (yep, the cheap stuff).

I did splurge on a tinted mask because my eyes are light sensitive. This one happens to have a snorkel that closes off when you go underwater (I'm sure that feature has a name) and a diaphragm down low where you can blow out trapped water. Fins are fins. Unless you are free diving, you just need something to get through the current.

The biggest feedback I have is to find a mask that doesn't leak or fog. Some of that even is technique based.
longingstjohn

Post by longingstjohn »

I agree that the mask is the most important. Have had the Tribord for over a year and love it. Both my wife and i use them all the time. Much greater visibility, peripheral vision. They do start to leak if you dive down, but we are generally surface snorkelers.

prices have come down in the US a great deal since we got ours.

as for the fins, i know everyone is promoting the full ones, but we generally snorkel from the beach and prefer the small ones.

If you are going to rent mask or fins, consider renting a camera at the same time. the pictures are a great way to relive your time in paradise.

b.
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

This is an old post but I see a few mentions of the Tribord full face mask. I have been thinking about buying it for over a year. What I like is that I will be able to see better with my peripheral vision. I also like that it doesn't fog. I own a mask and the last few times using it I have gotten water in it, fog, and my hair was wrapped around it. I also have to turn my head to see anything off to the sides. Time for a new mask and I think the Tribord is the answer. I saw that MahoJim was getting Amy one ... and assume by now that a few more of you have tried the full mask. What are your thoughts??

I equalize my ears by plugging my nose and moving my jaw. Both methods work. I am not terribly concerned about that and don't dive very often. Has anyone done any short dives? Were there issues??
dctac

Post by dctac »

Full foot... just got Volo Race,, love them; light, long around $100 online $ 125 on st john
Note to all the mask fogging,, When you buy a new mask clean the inside with toothpaste ( it removes the oils from factory)....then use johnsons baby shampoo in it before using... wipe it on.. rinse off it won't fog

[/ur

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]