Kiddle Beach

Travel discussion for St. John
iheartsj

Kiddle Beach

Post by iheartsj »

Land access to Kiddle Beach is now blocked due to overuse causing degradation of the road. Too much traffic and inexperienced 4WD drivers have torn up the road. The road to Kiddle is private property. It is owned and maintained by the people who own the beach property. These folks were ok with others using their private road as long as it was people who lived in the area.

Too many people started to use this beach as a place to get away from the crowds. The last time I tried to go there there were at least 7 rental jeeps. There has also been much abuse lately. Trash left behind including a dirty diaper left under a rock. Really !!

Kiddle can still be entered from the water side up to the the tree line.

This beach is NOT owned by the National Park. The access road is NOT owned by the park or any government agency. All the National Park beaches are accessible by public roads maintained by the Park.

If you go to Kiddle without the permission of the owners, you are trespassing.
Bluestreak12

Re: Kiddle Beach

Post by Bluestreak12 »

It's a shame that it has come to this due to the negligence of others. I was hoping to visit this summer as it is one of the snorkel spots that we haven't been to yet. I'd be willing to pay an entrance fee if it were only possible. :(
msfcambridge

Post by msfcambridge »

What's wrong with those kind of people? I'd like to find the owners and mail that dirty diaper to them. In Boston dog poo can be tested and traced back to owners... Something to think about.
Pulley

Post by Pulley »

Our first snorkel in Kiddle Bay was 13 years ago and people thought we were crazy for going there. As iheartsj said it was really crowded the last time we went. :(
equineannie

Post by equineannie »

Bravo to the owners....it is timely and expensive to maintain any property, especially on island.

Always heard the saying that people on vacation leave their brains behind......guess they leave their manners too...if they ever really had any.
kklay

Post by kklay »

It's probably been 10 years ago we went to Kiddle Beach. I had not snorkeled much and just wanted to get used to the gear, etc. There was just beautiful fish, sea life to see very close to shore and around the large rocks. The only issue was unless you had flippers or water shoes on, it was very difficult to get out of the water! Very rocky. It is absolutely beautiful there. When we went to leave we must have disturbed a bee or hornets nest and a friend of ours was getting BUZZED and ended up getting stung a few times! It's funny to think about now but not so funny at the time! He had to have a few strong drinks to get over that experience!
lark22

Post by lark22 »

Sad news, but understandable. Inconsiderate people are awful.

We had been considering renting a villa in that neighborhood for an upcoming trip; do you have any idea if nearby rental tenants would be able to access the beach by that road? If not, we'd probably choose to rent elsewhere, as that would be a major drawback.
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

"lark22"]

Ask the Villa manager if Kiddle access is included.
lark22

Post by lark22 »

Will do! Just hadn't gotten to the specifics of contacting villas yet; I was wondering about that aspect in general.

Thanks!
poidog

Post by poidog »

Iheartsj - you are sadly mistaken. These "owners" do not own the beach as all beaches are public also to the high water line . Also, the National Park DOES OWN the land to either side of the bay with beach frontage. You ARE NOT trespassing if you access the beach via national park land.
Follow our building blog @ Seas the Day Villa STJ