Using weather site to predict conditions at North Haulover

Travel discussion for St. John
AquaGirl

Using weather site to predict conditions at North Haulover

Post by AquaGirl »

We are planning our summer trip to St John this year :D and have a question for the weather experts and sailors. We would like to snorkel North Haulover, but each time we've been there, the conditions were too rough. Is it possible to check a site like windguru or the Plumeria weather station and tell whether the wind is blowing the "right way" so that North Haulover is (relatively) calm? If so, what exactly would we look for? From the map, it seems like Haulover beach faces northeast.

Thanks!
RickG

Re: Using weather site to predict conditions at North Haulov

Post by RickG »

You can use windguru.cz, search for virgin islands and look at wind and wave direction. Longer period wave periods are better. The best conditions will be waves less than 1m, from the east or south. Southerly winds happen in the summer occasionally.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
loria

Post by loria »

before i clicked on the forum i saw this question -- and thought 'this is a job for RickG'!..........
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

AquaGirl: Hi; we hope all is well with you both. Have you actually encountered rough conditions at Haulover North in the summer? At that time, the prevailing tradewinds will be coming from a bit south of east, and the swells from winter storms will be gone. RickG's suggestion of the Windguru site adds wave height and period for St. Thomas, which should translate to what is going on over towards Haulover. Another site to check is a buoy well to the north of St. John (although it is more informative in winter months, when swells arrive from the north); its link is here:
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/show_plot.php? ... _label=AST

Another buoy, closer to St. John but on the southern side, is here:

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/show_plot.php? ... _label=AST

I guess that we have just been lucky so far; Haulover North has been calm whenever we have snorkeled there. Good luck, and good snorkeling!

All the best,

Kevin
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Thank you! This is great info. We've encountered rough conditions at North Haulover in May and June, so technically it was spring since it was before the summer solstice. I think of June as a summer month since its usually hot here.

Kevin- we are enjoying your Plumeria weather station. Thanks for sharing it via wunderground. Another little view of St John.