Which and Why ?

Travel discussion for St. John
philbetm

Which and Why ?

Post by philbetm »

Hi All,
In all of our trips we have never stayed at either of the following ....

Virgin Estates at the Westin ( we will be booking a two bedroom at the minimum) or Sunset Ridge Villas .

Any comments on either of these is greatly appreciated. It will be in the October timeframe. :D

Sherry in SC
(philbetm)
" I believe there's Magic here...."
Pulley

Re: Which and Why ?

Post by Pulley »

Sherry, we owned a 2BR at the Westin for years (still own a studio) and it is great especially if you have kids. There is so much for kids to do at the Westin. I've never stayed at Sunset but I think it would be fine for 2 couples or a couple with older kids who don't constant entertainment.

Mike in SC
kklay

Post by kklay »

I have stayed in a 3 bedroom pool villa several times as well as a one bedroom (which is the same buildings as the two bedrooms). The Westin is great, the condo is spacious totally air conditioned and well laid out. It is also nice there is a pool area with grill a few steps from your two bedroom condo. Quick to town, close to St. John Market and there is parking right outside your door. I've never stayed at Sunset so I cannot compare to that.
philbetm

Post by philbetm »

Thanks Pulley and kklay for your info....and yes it will be 2 couples only and we don't party big at all ! :lol:

:D Sherry
GratefulDad

Post by GratefulDad »

The Virgind Grand Villas are across the street and up the hill from the main campus. I own a 1 be up there and love it. I usually walk down the hill to the main pool or to get a taxi if I don't have a jeep. They have golf cart shuttles to take you up the hill if you want. It's a good home base.
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

For two couples, Sunset Ridge might be just right, since each unit consists of two buildings. There is a recently refurbished master suite with a king bed and full private bath. Across a private courtyard is the main two story building that has the kitchen, laundry, dining and living areas. Upstairs is a loft area with either two queen beds or a queen and a single depending on the unit. There is a full bath upstairs and a half bath down.

Currently, only the master suite has A/C. I believe there are plans for adding it to the main, but perhaps not in time for October.

We have never stayed at the Weston but I would guess that it is the more complete resort and is perhaps plusher (is that a word?) than SRV with more amenities on site including a restaurant, tennis courts etc. On the other hand, if you are going to St. John to explore the island, SRV has more square footage and something that the Weston will never have. The view. If you look up from the Weston to the top of the hill, you will see Sunset Ridge Villas. They look westward and have an unobstructed view of St. Thomas and Pillsbury Sound. This is their webcam: http://sunsetridgevillas.com/SRVrightNow.shtml

Here is their website:http://sunsetridgevillas.com/index.shtml with info on floor plans and pricing. PM me if you are interested or have any questions. Owners at SRV can get a discount on pricing for friends and family. Sunset Ridge Villas is only 6 units and based on the time of year you are going I would guess you might have the place all to yourself or nearly so.
philbetm

Post by philbetm »

Hi Bill , I was hoping to hear from you. I knew you would have the most info on those . :) I was thinking that you ( or someone on here ) had said that air had been added to the main. So if I am understanding correctly...the loft bedroom is still not ac'd . Not sure if we could make that work. How are the breezes with windows open in the loft ?

Thanks again, Sherry
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

We are there in March and the evening breezes plus a ceiling and floor fan have always been enough. On occasion we have used the lofts ourselves. On the other hand, I do not personally know how it is in October. I know it can be hot, so I can understand your reluctance. Air in the main is coming, but I cannot promise it in time for your visit. Keep in touch.
philbetm

Post by philbetm »

GratefulDad,

Thanks for the info . I would need a golf cart to get me back up that hill or any hill as far as that goes ! :oops:

Sherry in SC
(philbetm)
jqg1956

Post by jqg1956 »

We own the first week of November at Sunset Ridge and the lack of a/c was never an issue with the great breezes high on top of the ridge. In fact, since its been installed, we have never turned it on. Not sure if October is that much warmer. SRV is a great place to relax. Hope this helps. :)