charter trip to snorkel mangroves?

Travel discussion for St. John
AquaGirl

charter trip to snorkel mangroves?

Post by AquaGirl »

About 5 years ago, we went on Long Distance for the day and the last snorkel was in the mangroves in one of the coves in Hurricane Hole. We loved that snorkel as it was so different from any place else we had snorkeled. We would love to take a half day trip to snorkel 2 places in the mangroves. I checked with Long Distance, but they will be off the island.

I was interested in Serena Sea, especially since they advertise a "3 hour tour". The name always makes me smile, thinking about Gilligan's Island. I have emailed them, and left messages on the phone number, but haven't heard back. Since our trip is coming up soon, I would like to get something booked. Does anyone know of a charter boat that will go to Hurricane Hole?

I seem to recall that Crabby's rented kayaks to be able to go over there. I am recovering from a rib injury, so paddling that far isn't a good option.

Thanks!
iheartsj

Re: charter trip to snorkel mangroves?

Post by iheartsj »

Paddling to Hurricane Hole from the shore of Coral Bay is never a good option due to prevailing winds.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I believe Island Roots is allowed to go into the mangroves for snorkeling.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
bill

Post by bill »

Last year we booked a snorkel tour with Arawak Expeditions in Mongoose junction to snorkel Hurricane Hole mangroves. I can't say enough about it. A full day Kayaking to the mangroves, stopping for lunch, which was included with a very informative guide.

Learned a lot while having a wonderful adventure. Can't wait to do it again. They only take a few people at a time, so if you are interested I would contact them. You won't be disappointed.

Enjoy!
awardb

Post by awardb »

In the past, we have used Capt. Truman Barbier, based out of Coral Bay. USVI Flyaway Charters. 340 514-7403

Last time we went with him, he took us snorkeling among the mangrove roots in Hurricane Hole, and it was spectacular. Great boat, great captain. Can't say enough good things about him.
AwardB
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. - Lewis Carroll