Car Barge Update

Travel discussion for St. John
iheartsj

Car Barge Update

Post by iheartsj »

The following was just posted on the Tradewinds News facebook page:

"News Alert: currently only Captain Vic is running the STT-STJ car barge route. The General failed inspections on Friday. Mr. B was previously seized by federal marshals leaving the STJ terminal full of inactive passenger barges. Please allow ample time if you are traveling between St John and St Thomas."

Not good news if you rent a car on St. Thomas.
sandybottom

Re: Car Barge Update

Post by sandybottom »

Well, this is alarming. Our group of six arrives on May 7, with plans to rent a large SUV from Amalie and take the car barge to STJ. Even if the ferry connection went smooth on arrival, I'm concerned about the return trip. Our flight out is 4:00 pm, but we're flying American and they tell us to be at the airport 3 hours prior. Wondering now if I should scrap the plans and rent two small jeeps on STJ?
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

I don't know your arrival flight, but that is the one that would worry me since the car barge doesn't run late at night and if there is only 1 you could miss that.
If it is 6 adults, I would rather have 2 jeeps to accommodate different schedules or desires. Lots to think about. You may not be able to get 2 jeeps this late.
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

A friend reported that yesterday he waited in line 2.5 hours
sandybottom

Post by sandybottom »

2.5 hour wait...whoa! Our flight gets in before noon on Saturday though, so I think we'll be ok. We may just head straight to the car barge and get groceries on St. John. Who knows...maybe the other ferry will be up and running again.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Still one and it's the small one !

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

Image[/url]
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

Why does American say 3 hours early?

For all you regular fliers, do you really show up 3 hours early for American ?

We are here til the 14th, hope they resolve it by then, we have a 4pm flight too but we planned to get on the 10am
Pia

Post by Pia »

Nothing to resolve - it is AA's policy and has been for quite some time.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

Pia wrote:Nothing to resolve - it is AA's policy and has been for quite some time.

Pia

The barge...resolved by the time we leave :)

What happens if you aren't there 3 hours early?
sandybottom

Post by sandybottom »

fmzip: We're in a similar situation: Our flight back from STT is at 4:40, AA, and yep, we plan to be at the airport around 1:00ish. We are taking the 10:00 AM car barge, so we should have ample time to grab lunch. I'd rather be early than late!

Regarding the car barge situation being down to one ferry, I went ahead and made a RT reservation from Love City for Capt Vic. I am told that if I get there by 2:30 and show my paid receipt, I'm guaranteed a spot. Fingers crossed.
sandybottom

Post by sandybottom »

To clarify, we arrive this Saturday 5/7 and plan to be on the 3:00 p.m car ferry to St. John, so we were told to show up at 2:30 with a paid receipt.
Pulley

Post by Pulley »

I just spoke with Crystal at Love City and there 2 car barges running.
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

sandybottom wrote:fmzip: We're in a similar situation: Our flight back from STT is at 4:40, AA, and yep, we plan to be at the airport around 1:00ish. We are taking the 10:00 AM car barge, so we should have ample time to grab lunch. I'd rather be early than late!

Regarding the car barge situation being down to one ferry, I went ahead and made a RT reservation from Love City for Capt Vic. I am told that if I get there by 2:30 and show my paid receipt, I'm guaranteed a spot. Fingers crossed.
Curious as to where would be a good,place to get a nice upscale lunch in St Thomas?
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

fmzip: When we have time, we enjoy lunch at the Amalia Cafe, in Palm Passage (downtown Charlotte Amalie, across from the waterfront; www.amaliacafe.com).

All the best,

Kevin