Car Barge Update

Travel discussion for St. John
Exit Zero

Re: Car Barge Update

Post by Exit Zero »

"Curious as to where would be a good,place to get a nice upscale lunch in St Thomas?" FMZIP
Away from the cruise ship crowds in town I suggest:
Twisted Cork in Frenchtown which has excellent interesting food, and some very nice wines by the glass for lunch.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

fmzip wrote:
What happens if you aren't there 3 hours early?
I've heard horror stories about them not letting people get on their flights when they only missed the 3 hour cut off by a few minutes :|
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Pia

Post by Pia »

"I am told that if I get there by 2:30 and show my paid receipt, I'm guaranteed a spot" ...... sandybottom - not to discourage you but most (if not all) locals buy round trips because the 2 companies that (usually) run honor each others tickets so everyone has a "paid receipt" - many times we don't make a ferry because they are full even though we have our "paid receipt" - it is not a guarantee because when they are full they are full and there is no way anyone is going to get off to let you on even if they are waiting onboard and only buying a one way.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

Thanks Kevin
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

Exit Zero wrote:"Curious as to where would be a good,place to get a nice upscale lunch in St Thomas?" FMZIP
Away from the cruise ship crowds in town I suggest:
Twisted Cork in Frenchtown which has excellent interesting food, and some very nice wines by the glass for lunch.
Thanks !
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

Any update on the barge situation? We need to grab a ferry in the AM
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

fmzip wrote:Any update on the barge situation? We need to grab a ferry in the AM
How'd it go?
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

Yes,

Got there at 8:15, ferry pulled in a few minutes after and we boarded immediately.

As we were leaving, another barged pulled in so the problem seems to be resolved
StMax

Post by StMax »

Thanks fmzip for update. Non-forum friends going in late May and others in Mid-June and I feel an obligation to keep them updated! :)
Pulley

Post by Pulley »

Pia wrote:"I am told that if I get there by 2:30 and show my paid receipt, I'm guaranteed a spot" ...... sandybottom - not to discourage you but most (if not all) locals buy round trips because the 2 companies that (usually) run honor each others tickets so everyone has a "paid receipt" - many times we don't make a ferry because they are full even though we have our "paid receipt" - it is not a guarantee because when they are full they are full and there is no way anyone is going to get off to let you on even if they are waiting onboard and only buying a one way.

Pia
According the people at Love City Car Ferry if you make an online reservation your spot is guaranteed. There is a difference between buying a round trip ticket and making a round trip RESERVATION. I just verified this 2 minutes ago.
Pulley
Pia

Post by Pia »

Interesting - I still stand by the fact no one is going to get off the ferry once on if you pull up 5 minutes to departure and they are full - I can only assume they save 1 car spot (or however many have a reservation) but in 10 years and going over to STT one or two time a month I have never seen them "hold" a space or maybe they never had anyone on the ferry I was on with a reservation.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties