How to access Reef Bay from Parrot Bay?

Travel discussion for St. John
fmzip

How to access Reef Bay from Parrot Bay?

Post by fmzip »

So Off the Beaten Path book says you can access reef bay from a trail off of reef bay road to parrot bay.

It says turn left after the concrete road ends. Do you drive all the way up to the end of Reef bay road?? or was this book written before the road continued way way up to the top of the hill? If so, where is the access point?

We drove almost all the way up and around to the top of reef bay road and then quit. Just seemed to be way to high to access the water . Any help would be appreciated
Chris @ Work

Re: How to access Reef Bay from Parrot Bay?

Post by Chris @ Work »

You need to go along Reef Bay Road until you reach an all wood (weathered dark brown) villa on the LH side. Just to the right of the villa is a telephone/power pole and you will see a path that drops off from the road. There is a series of rope 'bannisters' to assist on the way down and back up. This takes you to the beach below from which you can hike along to Reef Bay. You will need to work your way back into the forest to get around a large rock outcrop unless you are fit enough to climb over.
[/url]
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

Thank you thank you!
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

A couple of suggestions / mistakes to avoid:

As you are following the Reef Bay Road, pay attention - there is a spot where if you stay on what you might think is the Reef Bay Road, you will actually have switched to a new road. Pay attention to the signs on any "left hand turn". When you see one that has a sign marked "Reef Bay Road", take that left to stay on the right road.

You should be able to sidle up to a cut in the hill across from the last house for a place to park.

The trail down to the beach is steep, but short, with rope holds as previously described.

If you are up for a nice snorkel, AND the water is calm, you can put in near where the trail hits the beach, swim out to 20-30 foot depth, and snorkel east parallel to the shore. You can actually snorkel all the way to where the Reef Bay Trail comes down to the sea.

Do NOT attempt to take a short cut and head straight in to shore from half-way there or back. You will have to traverse a very wide and way too shallow section with urchins.

Enjoy!

All the best,

Kevin
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

Got it Kevin!

I know we were on reef bay road as we are perched way up on Skytop at Palm vista I can see where we need to go. To the very right of us looking out toward the water is fish bay. Then around the point to the left would be parrot bay.

We just went to far up and to the left on reef bay road, almost to the very very top. I have a feeling I know where it is as I could see the coast line to my left very clearly, maybe even saw the pole. Where can you park near that villa that was mentioned, on the road?
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

fmzip: It sounds as though you may have taken the wrong road if you got "almost to the very very top". When you are headed out from Cruz Bay past that Westin, that is the South Side Road; a bit past the steep hairpin, you will see a hard left turn that is Rt. 104, headed up to Gifft Hill. You don't take that, and keep going straight towards Fish Bay. That IS the Reef Bay Road, and you just follow it, bearing in mind that you need to turn left late in the game if you are to stay on the Reef Bay Road. Watch for that street sign to know when to "turn". Eventually, the Reef Bay Road stops, with a cut in the hill on the right that you park against, and that last lonely house on the left, with the trail down to the beach to its right.

All the best,

Kevin
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/ ... e=57B42F7E

Here's a panoramic photo from our villa, to the right is fish bay, the peak in front of us with the White House on the edge is what we assume to be reef bay road as we followed the sign, it continues up and around the back. Yes no, maybe so? Unless it's hilltop road which sounds appropriate ? Lol

That road is the only road that heads toward the water from what I see on google maps and is the last road next to the edge of the national parki
Dropped Pin
near 119 Reef Bay Rd, St John 00830, USVI
https://goo.gl/maps/nEZTr1Ri1kF2
Chris @ Work

Post by Chris @ Work »

The peak is Cocoloba Point and you missed the LH turn off if you approached the top of it. As you are driving along Reef Bay Road you'll cross the one lane bridge and proceed up grade. Shortly after, there is a road to the left which is actually Reef Bay Road continuance. If you do not make the turn, you will be on a steeper grade and then actually on Hilltop Road which turns into Hilltop Lane taking you to the top of Cocoloba Point.
Make the LH turn as mentioned and the wood villa is about 1/8 mile
[/url]
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

fmzip: Chris probably nailed your issue, but the Google Maps drop point in your post is in the right spot. The mistake that I was referring to was "continuing" on Marina drive, instead of turning left to stay on Reef Bay Road.

All the best,

Kevin
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/ ... e=57A56816

My guess is that I missed the reef bay road turn as I was on marina and saw the marina and ref bay intersection, reef bay was pointed left but I assumed the sign was a bit twisted.

The photo I attached shows a utility pole at the far left, I am guessing it's this
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

Found the path today after I found the hidden reef bay road sign in the trees .

May take the hike tomorrow.
Jeff&Cindy

Post by Jeff&Cindy »

FMZip, are you staying at Palm Vista? We were just there last week, at Little Palm, next door. And we also went down to Reef Bay via that rope climb/trail.
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

Yes we are here at Palm Vista for two weeks. First time at this villa, great view, great breezes, no bugs!

I was surprised no reviews of this villa on the forum. I'll be sure to write one.

What were your thoughts on Little Palm? I understand last week wasn't the best weather week. I don't see Little Palm listed for rent, I was wondering if it's better since the owner lives ther
Jeff&Cindy

Post by Jeff&Cindy »

Last week was our fifth year of staying at Little Palm. It's the only place we've stayed. We're hooked on the view. Last week we had the whole hilltop to ourselves. No one was home, and your villa was empty. It was very quiet up there. Awesome, actually.

Yeah, last week the weather was a bit more gray than we'd have liked. But we had a great time. We even were swimming during a half hour heavy downpour at Cinnamon. Everything dried out pretty quickly.

My thought about the Reef Bay hike -- the sand at Reef Bay is a lot more coarse and abrasive than the soft/pleasant North Shore sand. A year ago, we hiked from Reef Bay Road to the petroglyphs and back (and over the rocks that you'll find midway along the beach). I know my feet got pretty sore for a few days from that sand. I probably got my feet wet & sandy inside my Teva hiking sandals and the straps got me. It never bothered me on the North Shore, but Reef Bay sand is different.

Have fun!
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

Thanks for the tip on the sand.

My wife's feet were already blistered so we stopped at the drug store and bought two boxes of band aids for $18.75. :)

We made the hike yesterday from Parrot Bay to the Petroglyphs it was awesome. had a group of deer pass us along the way, one came up to about 10 feet from me, got a video of it will post it when I get back to the states