8:00 ferry for a 12:30 flight?

Travel discussion for St. John
cliffnchristi

8:00 ferry for a 12:30 flight?

Post by cliffnchristi »

Hi there!!! We are down to 36 days. Haven't been to STJ since 2013 and I know things have gotten worse with security and customs and that AA says 3 hours ahead of time. We have a 12:30 flight on a Saturday on AA. We are doing carry on only and hope to print boarding passes at Connections on Friday afternoon. I have been told by others that they have been unable to check in online and that we definitely need to be on the 8:00 ferry. Has anyone else flown on AA lately and had issues with online check in and do you think the 8:00 is the ferry we need to be on? I was even told by one person that if it were him he'd be tempted to be on the 7:00. TIA!!!
Pia

Re: 8:00 ferry for a 12:30 flight?

Post by Pia »

Personally for a flight on AA I would be on the 9am ferry for a 12:30pm flight IF I had carry on only and had checked in on line but if checking luggage on a AA flight I would take the the 8am (I hate those flights departing on the half hour as you need to leave 1 hour earlier) but (personally) still the 9am for any other airline - now if you are talking car ferry I don't know what to tell you given the current circumstances.

Pia
Last edited by Pia on Wed May 04, 2016 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Realtor - St John Properties
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

To keep things straight. The "ferry" refers to the people ferry. We call the boats that carry cars "barges".
kklay

Post by kklay »

If you take the 8AM ferry you could always stop for a quick bite to eat close to the airport.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Well you might refer to them as "barges" iheartsj but many people who live here also refer to your "barges" as the "car ferry" - just saying' !!!

Pia
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Pia - do you know if Delta has the 3 hour policy as well? Also, if you were taking the car barge/ferry...whatever...and had a 1:45 Delta flight on a weekday in mid-July, what car barge would you want to be on?
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band
Pia

Post by Pia »

Hi there - no Delta does not have the 3 hour rule but depending when in July I would probably be on the 10am (if it is mid week after Carnival then I would allow more time) at the latest - getting to STT by 10:30am, to the airport by 11:15am - time to check the car back so at the counter by 11:45am HOWEVER this is just my rough timing - hope this helps

Pia
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

It does Pia! Thanks so much!!! We were toying with staying on STT the last night like we normally do, but I think we will be ok. Check in at the airport with Amalie takes all of about 3 minutes. We leave on the 20th so I think we are far enough away from Carnival by that time...not positive though.
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

We had a 2:30 flight and a checked bag last month, and we took the 10AM ferry. We had plenty of time, of course we also always use Daphne - porter extraordinaire - so that really speeds us through. AA would let us check in online, but would not allow us to use our mobile boarding pass, insisted on a paper one. I was annoyed with the amount of time we had to sit around. We had someone in our taxi who had a noon flight with AA, and I told him I would definitely get a porter as he should have already been at the airport, but he didn't listen. Saw him sitting in the departure area later, and it was after noon, so I'm thinking he did not make his flight.
cliffnchristi

Post by cliffnchristi »

Thanks everyone! 8:00 ferry it is!!!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Pia wrote:Personally for a flight on AA I would be on the 9am ferry for a 12:30pm flight IF I had carry on only and had checked in on line but if checking luggage on a AA flight I would take the the 8am (I hate those flights departing on the half hour as you need to leave 1 hour earlier) but (personally) still the 9am for any other airline - now if you are talking car ferry I don't know what to tell you given the current circumstances.

Pia
Am I ok on the 11 for a 3pm flight? I am checking bags. Or do I need to be on the 10 [emoji849]
Pia

Post by Pia »

Mary Beth - 11 will be fine or if running the 11:15am downtown.

Pia
Boxer5

Post by Boxer5 »

michigan girls wrote:We had a 2:30 flight and a checked bag last month, and we took the 10AM ferry. We had plenty of time, of course we also always use Daphne - porter extraordinaire - so that really speeds us through. AA would let us check in online, but would not allow us to use our mobile boarding pass, insisted on a paper one. I was annoyed with the amount of time we had to sit around. We had someone in our taxi who had a noon flight with AA, and I told him I would definitely get a porter as he should have already been at the airport, but he didn't listen. Saw him sitting in the departure area later, and it was after noon, so I'm thinking he did not make his flight.
Thanks for letting me know that AA won't let us use our mobile boarding pass. A real pain. It's now become a useless app.
Boxer5