Coming back for our 3rd year - any dreaded sea lice?

Travel discussion for St. John
jbpadgett09

Coming back for our 3rd year - any dreaded sea lice?

Post by jbpadgett09 »

My wife and I are flying in next month for our 3rd trip to St. John (10th anniversary). Last year was tough with all the stinging sea lice, have they been spotted this year or have they finally moved on? Thanks
jmq

Re: Coming back for our 3rd year - any dreaded sea lice?

Post by jmq »

Several species of jellyfish do have reproductive spawning of larvae 8-10 days after a full moon. Not all species do, and it is poorly understand

And, according to this, it sounds like some precautions you might take is to shave your head and swim naked :D :shock: :lol:
The many nematocysts surrounding each jellyfish larva can be triggered to fire by mechanical pressure, such as in the friction areas of a bathing suit or bathing cap, or in body creases. A bather's individual activities may also increase the amount of firing, such as contact with a surfboard, lying on the beach, or sitting on a car seat in the wet bathing suit during the trip home. The surface area of a bathing suit may increase the area over which stings can occur. Female bathers wearing one-piece suits and children and adults wearing T-shirts in the water can increase the risk of a more severe reaction. It is not unusual to see evidence of 200 or more stings under a person's bathing suit.
Changes in osmotic pressure may also activate the nematocysis. This could occur from evaporation as the bathing suit dries or from the bather's rinsing with fresh water while wearing the suit. The nematocysts have been noted to have an affinity for hair as well as fiber, which could explain why people have lesions on their necks, from hair dangling in the ocean water and then contacting the skin.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
SuefromMA

Post by SuefromMA »

JMQ, you always kill me...!!!

In answer to the sea lice question, we just got back and had "no" issues with sea lice. Someone did mention that last year was bad.

No see ums were bad, though. My adult daughter and myself looked like we had chicken pox all over our legs by the second day. My husband, of course, got I think ONE bite the whole trip... Argh!!

It had rained, apparently, for 2 full weeks prior to our second day on island. Thank goodness it cleared up for us. But, I am sure that the insect population was in full force.

Have a great trip!!! (Tough when it ends up in your rear view mirror, though...)
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

Been here 4/30 to 5/13....

No sea issues, been living in the water! No bugs up our way either, south side way up on fish bay. No seeums haven't been an issue, we've been at the north shore beaches and water lemon cay. Perfect two weeks! Fewest bites of any sorts. REnt high is my motto, way up in the sky where the wind blows most of the time, bugs can't sniff you out as easy :)