One bedroom - off season

Travel discussion for St. John
SuefromMA

One bedroom - off season

Post by SuefromMA »

Hi!

Looking for more one bedroom suggestions!!

Just got back on 5/9/16 and we are already planning our return for next year. We just enjoyed our second wonderful stay A Winsome House on Ajax Peak. We actually got a very good rate of $1975 per week (due to being repeat guests). But, with the 12.5% VI tax and $50 security deposit. It still averages about $325 per night.

Next Spring it will definitely be just the 2 of us. We go in "off season".

Our "must haves are":
A/C in bedroom
Comfortable Bed
Nice shower (view would be nice) - but, tiled or garden would do
Nice view that can be enjoyed while having morning coffee
Pool or Hot Tub are NOT a must, as we never seem to use them anyway
We are also pretty open as far as location goes.

We did enjoy the midway point on island. But, are "open" to any location. We are just looking for something different/charming and CHEAPER, if possible. (Course, the savings in cost would need to outweigh what we are giving up now.) Nice to know that A Winsome House is always a good fall back for us. But, we plan to go for 9 nights. So, the cost really does add up.

Oh, one location that we would want to stay away from would be any location beyond Coral Bay that would make us pass that "corner of Stench" beyond where the trash containers are. We are thinking that the "horrific smell" must be due to the bog and not necessarily the trash. It is horrible!! Don't think that I could stand driving by that every day.

As always, thanks for the tips!

Sue & Jim
CinnBay

Re: One bedroom - off season

Post by CinnBay »

This may be a little out of your price range, but my husband and I love Caribbean Sunrise located in the East End just past Sloop Jones' studio. We stayed there in June 2012 & 2013, and hope to stay again in 2017. The villa is remote and private with spectacular views. https://www.vrbo.com/429695#
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

We rented Blue Aweigh several years ago:
https://www.vrbo.com/487259

If you want complete privacy while in the pool/hot tub, you won't get it here because the owners' kitchen overlooks the deck area, but that didn't bother me at all. The owners Paula and Eric are great.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
poidog

Post by poidog »

Sounds like Seas the Day is right up your alley!
www.seasthedayvi.com
Follow our building blog @ Seas the Day Villa STJ
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

The former owners of Plumeria recently finished their home down at the end of Gifft Hill Lane, and built a really nice one bedroom rental unit below their residence: "Sea Swan Suite". It is very nice and clean, plus you get those signature Gifft Hill sunsets. Alyce and Paul have a summer $180 a night special that runs from July 12th to September 12th. Our villas are also on Gifft Hill Lane, and I have to say that being able to pop down to the many restaurants, shops, and nightlife in Cruz Bay in under ten minutes (and return just as quickly) is a wonderful thing.

Here's a link to Sea Swan Suite's VRBO page:

https://www.vrbo.com/420136

All the best,

Kevin
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Check out Www.vrbo.com/32037. We LOVED it.
Smiles -
MJ
Summerlover

Post by Summerlover »

Coconuts wrote:The former owners of Plumeria recently finished their home down at the end of Gifft Hill Lane, and built a really nice one bedroom rental unit below their residence: "Sea Swan Suite". It is very nice and clean, plus you get those signature Gifft Hill sunsets. Alyce and Paul have a summer $180 a night special that runs from July 12th to September 12th. Our villas are also on Gifft Hill Lane, and I have to say that being able to pop down to the many restaurants, shops, and nightlife in Cruz Bay in under ten minutes (and return just as quickly) is a wonderful thing.

Here's a link to Sea Swan Suite's VRBO page:

https://www.vrbo.com/420136

All the best,

Kevin
We have friends who stayed here. I love the colors and decor of this villa.
SuefromMA

Post by SuefromMA »

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. I actually "found" what we think is our "perfect choice". I found it by looking at the "villa reviews".
Winner is...."Skyflower Suite". It is just a lower "apartment" with a dedicated living room/kitchen combo, separate bedroom, covered LONG deck and "outdoor/garden shower with a view"...!!! (My "must have"!!!)
This rental is only available during the months of January thru April when the owners are "in residence" upstairs. Rest of the year the entire place is for rent.
The reviews here and also on the VRBO and trip advisor sites were all GLOWING!!! I contacted the owner thru VRBO and he was prompt, thorough and a pleasure to deal with. The price is almost too good to be true. Also, funny that this year and 2 years ago we stayed on Ajax Peak and absolutely LOVED it's location. But, we kept looking over to those houses in the Bordeaux Mountain area and thought - "Wow, they must get killer sunrise views from over there." Now, we will get to find out if that's true.
The location appears to be best gotten to by driving UP from Coral Bay. So, this location will mean a few more minutes of driving to get to our favorite Maho or other North Shore beaches. But, the cost savings and the spectacular views look like a good trade off for us.
Again, thanks to all for your great suggestions. Almost didn't want to share our "find".... Cause it "may" end up being "our" go-to place..!!! LOL
Sue
SheilaW1

Post by SheilaW1 »

Oh - I was just going to suggest either Skyflower or In Harmony Retreat... We stayed at Skyflower over Thanksgiving 2015 and had the entire house to ourselves. We stayed in the upper level, the lower level apt was locked though we got a tour from Marc Miller, the manager (who was awesome to deal with btw), and it looked even better than the website pics. I used that lower level outdoor shower almost once everyday! The upper one is awesome too! Those views from Skyflower are amazing - you can see ALL the BVI's (except Anegada - LOL) and East End of CB and it has probably the BEST views on the island!! My daughter thought the pictures I texted her while we were there were fake.... The breezes are fantastic - keeps the house cool at all times and NO BUGS!! You will love the house it is beautiful and exceptionally well maintained. The king size bed in the upper bedroom was extremely comfy. The kitchen has everything and any gadget you could possibly want to cook with. The hot tub was wonderful and huge and we saw unbelieveable stars every night just relaxing!! The road up is paved - but dang it is steep the first few times up.... really steep! We tried booking again for this July but unfortunately it was already booked. We are staying for the 1st time at In Harmony Retreat and looking forward to it - different side and views of Coral Bay! Have fun and enjoy Skyflower!!
Image[/url]
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

You can get to Skyflower without going through Coral Bay. Bordeaux Mt road goes through from Chateau Bordeaux to Skyflower. About a mile of the road is not paved and very rough but can be driven in a vehicle with high clearance.
SuefromMA

Post by SuefromMA »

Thank you both for the reply. We are excited about our choice. We definitely will try to give the road to and from Chateau Bordeaux a try. Certainly looks worth a try. So, driving FROM Cruz Bay to Coral Bay would it be the road directly to the right of the Chateau Bordeaux complex? Any idea how long "in minutes" it would take to get from the beginning of that road to Skyflower? Just curious.
We will, of course, speak with the owners, as well about how "foolproof" entry from that direction would be. Would "hate" to take a wrong turn and get ourselves into any trouble.