On island report

Travel discussion for St. John
Anthony
Site Admin

On island report

Post by Anthony »

Been having a great time in preparation for my niece's wedding tonight at Caneel Bay. Put just a couple of new photos up there in the right column on the tumblr account, more to come. Weather was great today. Dinner last night at Rhumb Lines, for an enormous amount of people (100?), was really amazing. Great service, great food - Jerome and his staff do an amazing job. Can't recommend it enough.

Yesterday we had a snorkel at Salt Pond - lots of turtles around, especially tiny ones - then burgers at Skinny's were I rang the bell a couple of times and explained what it means to one of the waitresses (just like I did last time I was there!).
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
mbw1024

Re: On island report

Post by mbw1024 »

Sounds great! Looking forward to being there in a week!
lprof

Post by lprof »

Thanks for reporting here! And for ringing the bell... have fun at the wedding!
... no longer a stranger to paradise
SheilaW1

Post by SheilaW1 »

Anthony - Loved the short report and wishing you the best for your niece and family on her wedding! Also - nice pics! we are headed back in July and cannot wait!
Image[/url]
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Anthony wrote:Been having a great time in preparation for my niece's wedding tonight at Caneel Bay. Put just a couple of new photos up there in the right column on the tumblr account, more to come. Weather was great today. Dinner last night at Rhumb Lines, for an enormous amount of people (100?), was really amazing. Great service, great food - Jerome and his staff do an amazing job. Can't recommend it enough.

Yesterday we had a snorkel at Salt Pond - lots of turtles around, especially tiny ones - then burgers at Skinny's were I rang the bell a couple of times and explained what it means to one of the waitresses (just like I did last time I was there!).
Are you saying that there were 100 people on island for a wedding??? :o
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

150 for the wedding tonight at Caneel - we just got back to Gallows. Lincoln (a staff member) told us it was a top 5 wedding (size wise) for the property - lots of locals (St. Thomians mostly) but lots of people from the states on the grooms side.
Teresa_Rae wrote:
Anthony wrote:Been having a great time in preparation for my niece's wedding tonight at Caneel Bay. Put just a couple of new photos up there in the right column on the tumblr account, more to come. Weather was great today. Dinner last night at Rhumb Lines, for an enormous amount of people (100?), was really amazing. Great service, great food - Jerome and his staff do an amazing job. Can't recommend it enough.

Pia

Post by Pia »

Were you on Kekoa by chance ?? (Sophia and Adam's wedding ??)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Pia wrote:Were you on Kekoa by chance ?? (Sophia and Adam's wedding ??)

Pia
That's the wedding but we were not on the boat -
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Anthony wrote:150 for the wedding tonight at Caneel - we just got back to Gallows. Lincoln (a staff member) told us it was a top 5 wedding (size wise) for the property - lots of locals (St. Thomians mostly) but lots of people from the states on the grooms side.
Teresa_Rae wrote:
Anthony wrote:Dinner last night at Rhumb Lines, for an enormous amount of people (100?), was really amazing. Great service, great food - Jerome and his staff do an amazing job. Can't recommend it enough.
Wow, that's amazing! I'm helping my sister plan her STJ wedding as we speak and there will only be 14 of us and I'm a bit overwhelmed (though 6 of the group are newbies so I'm helping quite a bit with them!).
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

So I wanted to post some more photos - and of course left my phone out in the sun at Caneel on Saturday. It works, but I can't really see the screen... I will get some more up when we get back. Leaving soon for the airport -
jmq

Post by jmq »

Nice! So lotsa folks in from Jersey?

And yes we need those photos...
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

I'll bite...so what DOES ringing the bell at Skinny's mean???
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

ColumbiaSCTraveler wrote:I'll bite...so what DOES ringing the bell at Skinny's mean???
The bell at Skinny's is dedicated to Howie, a long time member of a earlier version of this forum. He was very kind and helpful to everyone. Howie died suddenly of a cardiac event (around 2005 or so, iirc), and some forum members got together to create a plaque with a bell on it and wording with a testimony to Howie's kind nature. You ring the bell to remember Howie.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

Thanks, Liamsaunt! What a great tribute!