Car rental companies demanding letter from insurance company

Travel discussion for St. John
ColoradoMom

Re: Car rental companies demanding letter from insurance com

Post by ColoradoMom »

I think some people are missing the point because perhaps you actually read all contracts and fine print (like one kinda should but really who does that!) and also perhaps you are lucky enough to have discretionary income such that the surprise fee of their required insurance is a non-issue.
I'm lucky enough to have plenty of friends who remind me that an extra $85-95 is, to them, a big deal.

Now imagine you are not dripping with cash, you've saved, and finally made it to St John, aka paradise, and then lo and behold you didn't read the fine print (like a moron but it happens!) and you cannot reach your own insurance company because it's a weekend or holiday.

Everyone needs a few broke a** friends so you understand how everyday
people live.

I once treated 7 people to a St John week, all expenses paid. 2 of the people told me thank you, it was a trip of a lifetime, and they wouldn't have had enough money to afford both the ferry and taxi ride back to the airport AND lunch that day.

Trip of a lifetime!!! Yes indeed!! And some of us get to go often!!

If people feel ripped off, consider it before you jump on them.
Just sayin
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

We arrived yesterday and got our car at STJ rentals. As on past trips, Cynthia looked at my credit card and said no extra insurance needed for you. The couple next to us did not have that option so they had to take a$10 or $20 per day option.

My cc is Barclays travel card.
Pulley

Post by Pulley »

ColoradoMom wrote:I think some people are missing the point because perhaps you actually read all contracts and fine print (like one kinda should but really who does that!) and also perhaps you are lucky enough to have discretionary income such that the surprise fee of their required insurance is a non-issue.
I'm lucky enough to have plenty of friends who remind me that an extra $85-95 is, to them, a big deal.

Now imagine you are not dripping with cash, you've saved, and finally made it to St John, aka paradise, and then lo and behold you didn't read the fine print (like a moron but it happens!) and you cannot reach your own insurance company because it's a weekend or holiday.

Everyone needs a few broke a** friends so you understand how everyday
people live.

I once treated 7 people to a St John week, all expenses paid. 2 of the people told me thank you, it was a trip of a lifetime, and they wouldn't have had enough money to afford both the ferry and taxi ride back to the airport AND lunch that day.

Trip of a lifetime!!! Yes indeed!! And some of us get to go often!!

If people feel ripped off, consider it before you jump on them.
Just sayin
I don't think I am missing the point at all. The OP said that CCR ripped them off. I don't care if they "feel ripped off" the point is they weren't ripped off. I've treated 3 couples to St. John all expenses for the past 7 years but I'm not sure how this is relevant to the topic at hand. Also the OP said he has been to St. John 35 times over the last 20 years so I would guess <$100 isn't going to break him.

We should not accuse anyone of unfair business practices when in fact they are quite fair. To also say that the US AG would go after them is ridiculous. The OP needs to get over himself and find another car rental company that suits his needs.
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

We have rented from Courtesy nine times. We have always given him proof of insurance and have had no problems. We have always been treated great. He even gives us a discount if we pay cash instead of charging it. They feel like part of island family when we arrive each year.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Pulley wrote:I don't think I am missing the point at all. The OP said that CCR ripped them off. I don't care if they "feel ripped off" the point is they weren't ripped off. I've treated 3 couples to St. John all expenses for the past 7 years but I'm not sure how this is relevant to the topic at hand. Also the OP said he has been to St. John 35 times over the last 20 years so I would guess <$100 isn't going to break him.

We should not accuse anyone of unfair business practices when in fact they are quite fair. To also say that the US AG would go after them is ridiculous. The OP needs to get over himself and find another car rental company that suits his needs.
+1

It is clear that she has dug in so deeply on this and another forum, that she can't back off or even let up.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

Summerlover

Post by Summerlover »

My 2 cents for what it's worth, we just rented for the first time from Courtesy in April. I had our insurance card with us and when we got there couldn't find it. I knew I had it, just think with the excitement and being up since 2am... you get the picture. I asked them if we could come back by and bring it after we get unpacked from the villa. No problem... I did find it as soon as I unpacked the backpack.

Then the other couple we traveled with didn't have theirs. First timers... They emailed their insurance company.

I was pretty nervous that they would try to push the insurance and rightly so. But they were nothing but nice and professional.

We really liked chatting with the young man that picked us up from the ferry. He is Vie's grandson as it turns out.
Could there be more to this story? Have a lovely day everyone!
Wanda Creech

Post by Wanda Creech »

Thanks for the heads up. I have been going for over 20 years and this is a first. Glad to get my letter to take with me. Aqua Blu Car Rental requires it too.
Beach Creecher
mdcoles1

Post by mdcoles1 »

just to clarify, it is on the website AND on my email confirmation that this is needed. You really dont have to read a bunch of contract stuff to know this. I can sympathise with no knowing. Stuff happens, and anyone can be caught off guard. But, it would appear these business are doing enough that you "should" know.

If it was just passing along information,the orginal post would not have implied that the rental companies doing this were trying to "rip people off" or that they would not be allowed to do this in the "states".

I took issue only because I felt a business was being unfairly portrayed.

Each reader can form their own opinion and rent accordingly.

Oh, and I have never paid for anyone else's trip except my kids. :)

Done...
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

<---------rule follower here!

Jumping up on the "not missing the point" bench also with Pulley and Jimg20. The tone and attitude of the OP and subsequent responses from OP blame everyone but themselves for not being prepared. What is "white on rice" anyway?

definition of rip off - a fraud or swindle, especially something that is grossly overpriced.

We have rented from Courtesy several times when on St John and always found them helpful and courteous. It is all about choices. Make good ones!
lorijo068

Post by lorijo068 »

We have rented from Discount on St Thomas the last 2 years and it says right in the email that they send you after reserving that you need to provide proof of insurance and we always do...Why is that so difficult? On the Courtesy website under the terms it states the same...
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

I called St John Car Rental yesterday and spoke to Cynthia as I normally do about a month before I arrive. She told me that all she needed was a copy of our US insurance card. She didn't know anything about the controversy on this thread. She also said that getting burned by a renter who damaged a vehicle and had no coverage was a problem. She understood how if a company had that happen to them they might want to step up their requirements.

JIM

mfaughey

Post by mfaughey »

Been using St John Car Rental for more years that I can recall, never an issue with ANYTHING... I live in NYC, don't have a car that I own - but my credit card is always accepted for insurance.... And their customer service when Beach Brain Mike locks keys in car is unbelievable, several times no-less!! Cant recommend them more highly!
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

I forgot to note that SJCR will not accept AmEx cards any more. If that is your source of insurance coverage, you need to go to plan B.

JIM