Gibney parking

Travel discussion for St. John
msfcambridge

Gibney parking

Post by msfcambridge »

Headed to 5th trip to STJ in 16 days and we've always wanted to go to Gibney. However, we have not really been sure where to park and what others are referring to as the safe (not going to be towed) and limited parking spots near the gate. Can someone describe it coming from Coral Bay so we recognize it and know where it's ok to park if we're there early enough? Thanks!
Teresa_Rae

Re: Gibney parking

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Are you familiar with the gate? It used to say OPPENHEIMER BEACH along the top but a lot of the letters are missing. If you're on North Shore Road coming from Coral Bay, it will be on your right, but it's angled in such a way that you might drive past it. If you see the white fencing near the Gibney Beach cottages, you'll know you're in the right place.

When looking at the gate, there are 2 or 3 spots on the left side. It will appear that there are open spots on the right, and sometimes you'll see people parked on the right, but you can be ticketed for parking there.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

I'm glad this question was posted and thank you for the info T_R. I didn't know you weren't supposed to park on the right. I've heard of people being blocked in by other Jeeps, so we were concerned about parking there. We've never been there in all our trips to StJ, but maybe this trip.
msfcambridge

Post by msfcambridge »

Thanks Teresa_Rae! I think I've seen that gate before but this description will definitely help us find it. We'll have to slow down to a crawl when we start to see the white fencing near the cottages. AquaGirl brings up another question for me about being blocked in by other jeeps. Does that happen and is it easy enough to talk to folks on the beach and ask if the owner of XYZ jeep could move so you can get out?
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

We went to Gibney 3 days the last trip and parked on the left against the gate. Twice someone parked on the right next to us and behind us. Both times we were lucky that they just parked and asked us as they were walking down and we were walking up. Third time we parked far back on the left just in case.
gibber161

Post by gibber161 »

If you see the white fencing, you have gone beyond the gate. Best parking spot is 3 spots from the gate on the left, that way no one will block you in and you leave enough space for 2 cars to park in front of you. Don't forget, do not set up in front of the cottages, rather, go to the end of the beach to enjoy your day. 8)
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

FWIW, I distinctly remember the era in which many of the wrought iron letters in the gate that used to spell out "Oppenheimer Beach" were missing (vandalized), but the good news is that they have all since been replaced. The story of how this repair came about would be very interesting to hear. Being a physics guy (MIT, many years ago), I have long followed Oppie's stellar academic career, his Manhattan Project leadership, and then his run-in with national security hard-liners. He very much loved St. John, and had a passion for sailing its turquoise waters. On those rare occasions that I find myself inside his former home, for some community event with the kitchen and the music cranked up, St. John history and nuclear physics overlap, and I find myself a bit overwhelmed.

www.flickr.com/photos/52860375@N04/16230718344

What an island!

All the best,

Kevin
msfcambridge

Post by msfcambridge »

Thanks for sharing that Kevin-- very cool!
m.
parafins

Post by parafins »

The early bird always get's it's worm. Go early and you can get a parking spot. Go later and park at Hawksnest and snorkel over. It's a nice swim /snorkel over. Now you know my secret!
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
TrvlJohn

Post by TrvlJohn »

If the lot is full I just drop off the better half and then park at the top of the hill in the Peace Hill parking lot. It is not a bad walk - only takes about 5 minutes.
-John
Leap, and the net will appear.
- John Burroughs
msfcambridge

Post by msfcambridge »

THANK YOU TrvlJohn! Really helpful to have a back up plan.
m.
Connie

Post by Connie »

How is the walk down and back to Gibney?
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Connie: It is a very short but steep walk, and a challengingly steep drive on those rare occasions when the full gate is opened to allow cars to pass. The driveway is paved with grooved concrete. My guess is that it's about 250 feet from the gate down to the Community Center (Oppenheimer's old house, and total driveway length, not the elevation change).

All the best,

Kevin
Pulley

Post by Pulley »

Just got back from there this morning. The snorkeling is better at Hawksnest vs. Gibney/Oppenheimer/2 Butt - IMHO.
msfcambridge

Post by msfcambridge »

TrvlJohn, thanks for the Peace Hill tip. Worked out perfect. While we were there someone was parked at the end of the drive and it was still somewhat on the road. VI police showed up to find out who owned it. Don't know if it was ticketed but I'm glad we didn't chance it. Love this forum - thanks to all for the great info!