TSA lines

Travel discussion for St. John
cliffnchristi

TSA lines

Post by cliffnchristi »

Our countdown is at 17 days!!! Looking for any feedback from those that traveled in the last couple of weeks: what have the TSA lines been like in STT, specifically on a Saturday morning? We are flying from Charlotte, NC so if anyone has input on that as well, that would be great. Thanks!!!
poidog

TSA lines

Post by poidog »

TSA and customs is pretty stable here (I fly out monthly for work). Federal jobs on the island are like gold so people don't really leave them like the mess that's going on stateside.

This airport can be like Russian roulette. It could take 20 minutes or an entire three hours. I'm assuming you are on the AA afternoon flight back to Charlotte? AA requires you to be 3 hours prior if you have checked baggage. If you are only carry on and can check in on your phone you can arrive at anytime. However, being a Saturday (and a majority of the flights leave between 2-5pm) I would heed with caution and allow yourself at least 2 hours prior at the airport - and if the line is out the terminal and wrapped all the way inside that may not even be enough.
Follow our building blog @ Seas the Day Villa STJ
jimg20

Re: TSA lines

Post by jimg20 »

Fortunately, when we are in-bound we don't have to deal w/ TSA in STT. I suggest you take a look around when you arrive and see where things stand. I believe even if you have checked it out and it either looks good or bad, it could change in a half hour and go the other way. The above advise is very good.. I know I don't want to unnecessarily give up a minute of my vacation to an airline or TSA because they can't handle the passenger load. I also don't want to give up an extra day of vacation and all the turmoil that would go with that if I missed my flight by 10 minutes. I'll be there early in the morning of July 3rd.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

jimg20 wrote:. I also don't want to give up an extra day of vacation and all the turmoil that would go with that if I missed my flight by 10 minutes. I'll be there early in the morning of July 3rd.

JIM
If you miss the return flight from STT you actually get an Extra Day of vacation don't you?
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

That depends on how you are looking at the issue. I have a certain amount of money and time to spend on the VI trip. If I get left behind, I'll have to take a day away from another vacation that I was planning.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

fmzip

Post by fmzip »

We just left there on the 15th.

We gave ourselves 3 hours on American. Suggestion, print your boarding passes the day before at the postage place on the second floor above Starfish Market. That will save you a good 45 minutes in line at the ticketing counter. Make sure you are then in the correct line to have just your baggage screened at the airport. If you can upgrade to priority boarding, you can skip the entire line completely. We had priority boarding and didn't realize we could walk right up until we waited in line for an hour :)

On the last day of vacation I'd rather give up an hour or three to avoid being stressed out with cutting it too close......
cliffnchristi

Post by cliffnchristi »

Thank you everyone!!!!! Great advice and insight as always!
mdcoles1

Post by mdcoles1 »

After having nightmare TSA lines this year in Orlando and Puerto Rico, I just bit the bullet and applied for/paid for the TSA precheck -$85.00/good for 5 years. I only fly about 6 times per year, but my husband has this as he flies weekly for work. And its no fun to travel with someone who gets to skip the line if you have to wait.

the process was painless, and approval took about 7 business days.
David 12

Post by David 12 »

Unfortunately, I have never seen the TSA precheck line utilized at the St. Thomas airport.

Dave
kklay

Post by kklay »

Yep me either on the St. Thomas TSA precheck line!
mdcoles1

Post by mdcoles1 »

Local Press Release
Wednesday, February 18, 2015

ST. THOMAS, U.S. Virgin Islands — The Transportation Security Administration today announced the start of TSA Pre✓® operations at Cyril E. King Airport (STT). TSA Pre✓® is an expedited screening program that allows select STT flyers to leave on their shoes, light outerwear and belt, keep their laptop in its case and keep 3-1-1 compliant liquids/gels in a carry-on bag.

Fingers crossed.
poidog

Post by poidog »

The TSA precheck line was in use last week. Entrance is on the right along the wall prior to the boarding pass screeners. This is AFTER customs and check bag drop.
Follow our building blog @ Seas the Day Villa STJ