Pay parking likely for the Enighed "Pond" gravel lot

Travel discussion for St. John
Coconuts

Pay parking likely for the Enighed "Pond" gravel lot

Post by Coconuts »

St. John Tradewinds is reporting (link below) serious discussions regarding the paving of and pay parking for the gravel lot at what used to be Enighed Pond. This has led to a lively discussion over at Trip Advisor's St. John forum, along with utter confusion that this has anything to do with pay parking at beaches (it doesn't). After some reflection, I think that paving the gravel lot and adding pay ticket turnstiles would actually be a good thing. In my opinion, the main issue that pay parking would solve is that there are often few or no available spots there, because people are disregarding the "72 hour max" rule, and leaving cars there for extended periods. "My transmission blew, and I need a place to keep it for a while" isn't legit. Ideally, the pay parking system would allow a 30 minute free grace period for folks with a quick errand in town. Having to pay after that, and towing for people trying to store cars there, would actually open up spots for the rest of us.

What do you think?

Here is a link to the Tradewinds article: http://www.stjohntradewindsnews.com/gra ... ay-parking

By the way, here is an aerial photo of Cruz Bay back in 2007, when it was still sort of a pond, but being drained:
Cruz Bay 2007
Cruz Bay 2007
If you click on the photo, and then click again, you will be able to view Cruz Bay nearly ten years ago at quite high resolution. Pay no attention to the scar to the right of Starfish Market...

Oh, and the group that needs to vote on the gravel lot project is the same two member short CZM gang that was totally cool with the Summer's End project in Coral Bay. Stay tuned...

All the best,

Kevin
liamsaunt

Re: Pay parking likely for the Enighed "Pond" gravel lot

Post by liamsaunt »

Well, the majority of the gravel lot is taken up by derelict cars that never move. Cars with flat tires etc. Making it a pay lot might get those vehicles out of there and make room for people who are truly conducting business in town.

I do wonder how making this lot a pay lot will impact the rates being charged at the lots right in town. I bet they will all go up.

Are the police going to have to start paying parking fees for all the vehicles they keep parked in the gravel lot? :lol:
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
silverheels

Re: Pay parking likely for the Enighed "Pond" gravel lot

Post by silverheels »

I have no opposition to paying for parking. This is my concern about parking: Most of the handicapped parking spaces are in the lower lot. What bothers me is that anyone who is handicapped cannot possibly walk up the hill into town. Also this lot is poorly lit and as a single woman parking there is risky. It's time for someone to concern themselves with more handicapped parking in town. There's only one by the bathrooms and one by the dock (always occupied by the same vehicle all day). People who are handicapped are being forced to pay for in town parking.