Describe Your Perfect Day on St. John

Travel discussion for St. John
mrscherry2000

Describe Your Perfect Day on St. John

Post by mrscherry2000 »

Would love to hear your perfect day on St. John.

I have so many since any day in St. John in perfect:
coffee and a smoothie for breakfast to go as I head out to dive two morning dives with Low Key. Hubby sleeps in and enjoys the villa pool and hot tub. Ideally, I'll get to see some octopus and a shark or two. However, this is my perfect day so maybe I'll even spy an eagle ray or a dolphin.

I return around noon, drive back to the villa, get my husband out of the pool and pack a picnic lunch and my Cruzan coconut rum and lemonade mix for enjoyment on the beach. Head out to Mayo and find a close spot to park.

Set up near one of the coconut palms for some sun and relaxation. Watch the pelicans fish for a bit and grab my snorkel gear. Spy the sting rays coasting back and forth along the shoreline and the resident lemon shark poke around. Wade in deeper and snorkel along the grasses to spy the sea turtles with their remora hitchhikers enjoying their lunch. Return the gear and then grab the float to enjoy some relaxation on the water. Love Maho so much because of the gentleness of the Bay. Prefer it in the afternoons to get the best sun. Hubby and I float around for a while before returning for our lunch...just a sandwich, chips and grapes. Head back out for some snorkeling all the way over towards Little Maho past the families playing in the water. Someone is playing steel drum music on the boom box.

Head back over for a bit more sun before it drifts down below the mountain.

Pack up to head back to the Villa (Coral Bay side of course). Make a pitcher of painkillers for me :P . Some chips and guacamole for happy hour and pool time. Quick showers and heat up the grill for our grass fed NY Strips (we brought from home), sauteed mushrooms, sweet potatoes and salad.

After dinner, some hut tub time under the stars while I finish off my painkillers. Hubby will watch some Netflix while I pass out.

Potentially another early morning for me if I dive again or we'll do a boat day the next day or it'll be a two beach day. All of which are perfect days. One of these days, I'd like to try a villa day but there's always a beach calling my name.
dctac

Re: Describe Your Perfect Day on St. John

Post by dctac »

Tomorrow would be perfect!.........
TrvlJohn

Post by TrvlJohn »

I wake up at 5:30 AM and watch the sunrise over Coral Bay while I drink a cup of coffee and watch the Bananaquits bathe their beaks in sugar. After Mrs. TrvlJohn gets up and situated, we slather up with sun protection, pack our cooler with drinks, our special 'hot dog roll' sandwiches, oreos, and pringles and head to Little Lameshur.

We find a nice spot under the tree and marvel at the beauty before us while we watch the pelicans enjoy their breakfast.

After Mrs. TrvlJohn gets situated in her chair with her Kindle I hike down the Yawzi Trail hoping to see the usual deer and other wildlife. After returning from my walk, I get my snorkel gear and enjoy the underwater life that is so plentiful on St. John.

I am hungry after my morning of activity and eat a couple of our special 'hot dog roll' sandwiches and finish with a nice warm oreo for dessert.

After lunch I am revitalized and walk to Europa Bay via the Lameshur Trail and walk along the rocks as far as possible.

I return to the beach via the Lameshur Trail, take a quick dip to cool off and then decide to have my afternoon snack which includes nice warm oreos.

After relaxing for awhile, Mrs. TrvlJohn will state that it is time to go see our friend Larry at The Tourist Trap so we pack up and change our clothes while utilizing our makeshift changing room created with towels and the doors of the Jeep.

We spend a few hours with Larry and the crew while Mrs. TrvlJohn makes sure the blender is well-utilized while we are there.

Mrs. TrvlJohn and I return home, take showers, walk down the hill and share Ponzu Tuna while sitting at the bar at Aqua Bistro.

By now, it is late (8:00 or so!) so it is time to return to the villa and get ready for another day tomorrow...
Leap, and the net will appear.
- John Burroughs
northerngal

Post by northerngal »

Dang, where do you stay in Coral Bay with a pool and hot tub!
kklay

Post by kklay »

How is the hike to Europa Bay? I'd love to explore that during our next time on island.
mrscherry2000

Post by mrscherry2000 »

Going to stay at Sea Palace Retreat for our December trip. Stayed at St. John Livin for a prior trip (which I no longer see on VRBO unfortunately). Lots of places with both though my only requirement is the hot tub. Pool is usually too cool for me.
TrvlJohn

Post by TrvlJohn »

Kklay-
It is not difficult at all. There is a little up and down but it is only about a mile from L. Lamesure to Europa Bay. There are actually 2 spur trails. One to Europa Point and one to Europa Bay. Generally speaking, it is always too rough to swim/snorkel at Europa Bay. There used to be a cliff side trail from Europa Bay to Reef Bay but the NPS closed it several years ago. You will have the bay to yourself. In all the times I have hiked to Europa I have never seen another person there while I was.

More info here: http://seestjohn.com/st-john-virgin-islands-trails-2/
Leap, and the net will appear.
- John Burroughs