Private Property

Travel discussion for St. John
iheartsj

Private Property

Post by iheartsj »

A friend posted this on Facebook today. I have her permission to copy it to this forum. As we get more visitors to our beautiful home, trespassing is becoming more of a problem. Sometimes it seems that visitors think the entire island is a park and public property. There are many "in holdings" within the park that are private. Please respect private property. If you do know Tatiana, please show this to her.

"Today someone came into my house on XXXX Bay while I was out, ignoring "no trespassing" signs, and actually wrote a note on the back of an envelope in my kitchen and left it on the counter. Her name is apparently Tatiana, and she wishes she lived in my beautiful house--she apologized for making herself at home, but apparently she couldnt resist. Oh, and PS, and I should take better care of my dog (dog has a skin condition and some matted hair, going back to our very costly vet on Wed.).
I would guess this person is a visitor, but I have no idea where someone could possibly be from that they would think it's perfectly fine and safe go into a stranger's house, in a strange place? If anyone knows who this is, please ask her to resist these urges in the future, for her own protection."
pmk

Re: Private Property

Post by pmk »

I hope this was reported as a crime, even in the door was unlocked. Tatiana should hear from the authorities that this is just wrong.

pmk
Suziekue

Post by Suziekue »

That's such an invasion of privacy! I'm stunned that anyone from anywhere could think this is OK in any respect. I'm so sorry this happened to your friend.
Soarin' with the eagles all week long, and this is all that we've learned about living - VACATION!

ski2play

Post by ski2play »

I read this post yesterday on the book of faces. I too am sad that someone would be so bold and rude to come into someone's home, take the time to look around, write a note, and complain about the care the dog received. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Whew, that is just wrong on so many levels. Hopefully this person is found/caught quickly. I am going to speculate here for a moment...if she was brass enough to come in she may have taken selfies (as you know bold brassy people do) and she will eventually bring her own demise. That Karma!!!
loria

Post by loria »

holy crap! are you kidding me?
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

loria wrote:holy crap! are you kidding me?
What she said! And may I add WTF?
People have lost their minds. I am convinced.
equineannie

Post by equineannie »

Terribly sorry for your misfortune. A wake up call, for all though, understand that St John is a small island but not immune from any acts, criminal or otherwise.
Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

That is just totally unacceptable and in my opinion is definitely trespassing and scary to know that someone intentionally entered your home and let you know they were there. It's coming to the point of keeping everything locked at all times :( .
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

loria wrote:holy crap! are you kidding me?
This happened to us at our vacation house. We were at the local bar (in the town of our vacation house) and struck up a conversation with someone. Short version of the story is he tells us how much he likes our house, describing details he only could have known from being inside. When questioned, he said he saw a contractor work at the house and asked him if he could peek inside. We were not only shocked at his nerve but pissed that the worker just let a random stranger wander around our house.

People have lost their minds. It doesn't happen at our place (because of giant, strategically placed rocks) but people are always parking in our neighbors yards, just leaving their cars there in order to fish or hike - as in on the grass, not just a smidge along the berm.

And its getting worse. People are knocking on our door on an increasingly regular basis, wanting to know who to contact about renting the house. Its flattering but some not only refuse to believe it isn't for rent, they actually get angry about it.