Some thoughts on groceries and dining

Travel discussion for St. John
mbw1024

Some thoughts on groceries and dining

Post by mbw1024 »

As I mentioned in my last post we did not hit any new dining spots this time around. But I will share thoughts on our favorites.

As for grocery, the St. John market seems to have stepped up their game. The meat looked decent although we didn't buy any.
STJ market was our first stop on island after getting out car. Got beer and milk for coffee and some snacks to tide us over.

It was close to 6 when we got to our villa. The thought of going in to town for dinner was dreadful! So, Ronnie's to the rescue! Ordered pizza delivery and we were unpacked and in the pool before it arrived.

Pizza, pool and beer on your first night cannot be beat! We literally plopped the box at the pool's edge and ate it from the box under the stars. Heavenly!

We ended up at Rhumblines twice this trip. I really enjoyed this place both times but I am not sure it gets talked about enough.
First visit was for brunch which seems to be almost a secret that they serve it. Make your own Bloody Mary or Rum punch bar cannot be beat.

Later in the week we returned for dinner because we felt the need for spice. And we got it.
Amanda at the bar is doing lots of infusing of spirits with fun ingredients and she is mixing up some fun cocktails.
Overall, we felt this dinner was a much better value than the one we had at La Tapa.

La Tapa is normally a real favorite but it fell a little short this time. It was not bad by any means but the menu did not intrigue us. We both "settled" for a pasta dish. It was good but I could have made it at home.

We took out Chinese dishes from the Dugout another night. Very reasonable and decent food.

Sam and Jack's for a sandwich we split was good. But I liked their to go items even more. Black olive tapenade and roasted peppers were really good for villa vittles.

Sushi at Caneel excellent but expensive. But excellent!

Zozo's also excellent. Love their new space. This was the first time we had been to the new location. My husband has been looking forward to that Osso Bucco dish for a long time. He was not disappointed.

One thing I will say about the new place, Longboards, they must be giving something away in there. Every time we were in town people were outside waiting to get a table. I didn't get that at all.

Lastly, I am about to make dinner at home and I would kill for a few bags of Josephine's greens!!! [emoji853]
shoemak38

Re: Some thoughts on groceries and dining

Post by shoemak38 »

:D :D :D
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

There is a place that delivers pizza to villas!! WHAT. I learn something new every time! MaryBeth tell me about this pizza. Thin, thick crust?
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Ronnie's Pizza. It is on the same street as Jake's. Whatever that is called.

It is a decent crust. Not thick but not cracker thin either.

We have often picked up there but the delivery is key! Last time we had them deliver to Gallows - right to our room!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Menu.
I love the white pizza although in my first day delusion I ordered the 3 cheese which was also good.

http://www.hillcreststjohn.com/ronniespizza.html
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

Glad to hear Amanda is still at Rhumblines...she's one of our favorite bartenders, at one of our favorite restaurants! (I'm assuming that's her. . . :wink: )

We also love Sam & Jack's. The one with the shrimp - DELISH!

La Tapa was excellent last visit. . .hope they aren't slipping.

And we haven't been to Zozo's since they moved. Maybe that will be my birthday dinner.

THANKS for sharing!
islandjo2010

Post by islandjo2010 »

We haven't tried Ronnie's Pizza... I think we will this trip! Pizza poolside under the stars sounds wonderful. :D Thanks for sharing!
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

We also found St John Market to be great this trip and stopped in several times. It was only minutes from our villa and on our way home if we were coming from town. Their fruits and vegetables looked pretty fresh, compared to Starfish. We got carry out from their hot food counter several times and took it back to the villa to eat on our porch. Everything we tried ranged from very good to absolutely delicious (mahi creole). You could get side dishes with it and it was tons of food - enough for leftovers the next day. One funny thing that bugged me - they gave us a huge amount of steamed veggies (tasty & not overcooked), then put the piece of fish on top of it. Since I am a "food separatist", I don't want fish juice on my steamed veggies :lol: . They seemed to sell out of most hot dishes between 3-4pm.

We found Conchita brand Guava marmalade here and it was delicious. We enjoyed it so much that we bought 2 jars to take home. Apparently it looked suspicious to TSA on the screen because they opened our checked bag, unwrapped the padding and looked at it.

It's good to know that Ronnie's delivers to Gifft Hill villas. Will definitely remember that next time villa gravity sets in.
lorijo068

Post by lorijo068 »

We always get Ronnies Pizza our first night and if we are late getting in or don't feel like going to grocery store our first night they will deliver a six pack too...just ask! :) They have been there our last 7 visits! Good stuff!
FinsUp

Post by FinsUp »

Love Ronnie's delivery! We usually have it on our villa gravity day when we have a little too much gravity to move!