Pic's Pics & Report: May & June 2016 - Vol.1

Travel discussion for St. John
liamsaunt

Re: Pic's Pics & Report: May & June 2016 - Vol.1

Post by liamsaunt »

Fantastic report and pictures Risa! I am sitting on my villa deck trying to summon up the energy to do my first snorkel of the trip. I am still so tired from the travel day. Once I get out there I hope I have good luck like you!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Thank you for taking the time to post your report with pictures. Your trip definitely brings happiness to us as well. We were on island recently and did some of those same snorkels. I think you had mentioned snorkeling the left side of Maho, so we did it this trip and were glad we did. We enjoyed all of our snorkels immensely as always. We missed some of those little creatures, so we appreciate your pictures. Fairy basslets are one of my favorite fish, but they are really hard to photograph since they hang out under ledges and are very shy.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

Pickle been saving your report to read thanks for the great pic's made my lunch hour :D :D :D :D
Mary L

Post by Mary L »

Thank you for the great trip report. :)
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

I just savored your trip report! They are always MAGICAL. I feel like I'm snorkeling right there along with you, like others have said. I enjoy looking at the sea life, but I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as you, so thank you for labeling everything! I haven't even heard of a lot of those creatures!

On our previous trips, we have not yet made it to Miss Lucy's. Maybe this trip. . .

AND, we've only snorkeled Waterlemon once, and that was via dinghy, so we missed out on the shallows. You found some GREAT stuff there, so I definitely want to try that out this year, too!

And all of those sharks! :shock:

Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing!
jmq

Post by jmq »

Great stuff. Thanks for making the effort and taking the time to post. Proof that when in the right hands, the image quality of the Canon S series can rival the G series.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
awardb

Post by awardb »

Absolutely GREAT TR, Pickle! In going on 8 years traveling to STJ, Maho is one of our favorites too, and we repeat it several times each year.

Also really great to see posts from some of the long-time regulars on this forum, it's not dead yet! A special hello to Papabou, who's haunted these parts for many a year.
AwardB
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. - Lewis Carroll
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

Coconuts wrote:Great shot of the Queen Angelfish between the point on the right of Maho and what we refer to as "Bird Poop Rock".
I assume the rock is covered with bird poop (?). I guess I've never noticed. As for the Queen Angels, they are strikingly beautiful!
AquaGirl wrote:Fairy basslets are one of my favorite fish, but they are really hard to photograph since they hang out under ledges and are very shy.
I've been trying to take decent photos of Fairy Basslets and, so far, only one turned out "just okay". Every time I shoot those little guys (with a camera, of course) I hear Homer Simpson's voice in my head... "D'oh!" They are shy, as you said, and tirelessly move around under ledges!
ColumbiaSCTraveler wrote:I enjoy looking at the sea life, but I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as you, so thank you for labeling everything! I haven't even heard of a lot of those creatures!
Growing up near the Pacific Ocean on the other side of the planet, I had no knowledge of Caribbean Sea life when I started visiting St. John. I guess 14 years of visiting has worked in my favor and I'm slowly learning. A learning process is fun if it's something that you have a passion for. Other things... not so much (like learning English - it is a necessity :roll: ).

Thank you again everyone for taking time to post your kind words!
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Un-Freakin believable...my first time back to the Forum (more on that later) and I get rewarded with your amazing TR. Thanks for your efforts, expertise and enthusiasm.

Bigcheeze/Dave
'Enjoy the Journey'