Latest Car Barge News

Travel discussion for St. John
Rbaron721

Latest Car Barge News

Post by Rbaron721 »

Does anyone know what ever happened and what is the latest with the car barge saga? We are arriving on STT in early July with a big group (3 jeeps!). Our flight arrives at 2:30 pm. I'm hoping to catch the first possible ferry to STJ. Does anyone know which barges are running currently and does anyone have the current schedule between STT and STJ?
Russ
Adrienne

Re: Latest Car Barge News

Post by Adrienne »

Things were looking up and they had two barges running again. Unfortunately, as of yesterday, one of the barges blew up their engine and they're back to one barge. The one barge that is working is the Capt. Vic which is the barge that takes the commercial vehicles first. I think you'll be hard pressed to find a schedule right now.
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

Don't know what is running currently. But what is today could be vastly different to what will be happening in July. Barges break, get repaired, get seized by US Marshalls. The barge situation on the day you arrive could be different than the situation the day before. That is why it is best to rent your vehicles on St. John. You can count on the people ferries but not the barges
Rbaron721

Post by Rbaron721 »

Thanks for all the replies. I typically do rent on STJ. However, because this was a last minute trip that needed 3 four door jeeps, I couldnt find anyone on STJ that had that many. Man, this sounds bad. I wonder what happens since I rented three jeeps and then if I cant get them to my destination. Oh boy
Russ
Pia

Post by Pia »

It changes by the hour at times never mind weeks ahead - just no way of knowing - I know the wait from STT to STJ was 2.5 hours yesterday at times as I had a meeting in the office with a rep that arrived at the dock at 11am and arrived to my office at 2:25pm !!!

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

Rbaron721 wrote:Thanks for all the replies. I typically do rent on STJ. However, because this was a last minute trip that needed 3 four door jeeps, I couldnt find anyone on STJ that had that many. Man, this sounds bad. I wonder what happens since I rented three jeeps and then if I cant get them to my destination. Oh boy
Have you contacted O'Connor's? The reason I ask is because I was at the Westin a couple of times last week (taxi-ing wife & her sister there to play tennis.) The parking lot had many O'Conner's Jeep there.

Hope this helps.
"The exuberance of youth pales in comparison to a middle-age crisis."
RobertR

Post by RobertR »

We left St. John last Saturday, June 11th, headed to the ferry around 9 AM. Waited 2 hours to drive onto the ferry. When we arrived at Red Hook the ramp at the front of the ferry would not lower due to a hydraulic failure. Took another 20 minutes will they tried several times to lower it, finally it went down and we drove off. It was the Capt. Vic. We were plenty early for our flight... all we could do is chuckle.
My advice is leave early, plan for a delay.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

I think you need to rent on STJ. Even if that means using three different companies, you need to take the people ferry and give up on the barges. Do what you have to to prevent this from spoiling your trip.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Thanks for this update!
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band