Today's car barge update. It's not pretty.

Travel discussion for St. John
iheartsj

Today's car barge update. It's not pretty.

Post by iheartsj »

We arrived at the barge dock on St. John at 9 am. The lady that organizes the lines told us there was only one barge running and it would be a 4 hour wait. She also told us that the last barge yesterday evening arrived on St. John at 1:30 AM. She advised us to not go to St. T unless we had to.

My friend had reported a 4 hour wait on St. Trauma yesterday evening for her return to St John. With 8 plus hours of wait time we decided to do without the things we needed from St. T. We wouldn't have time to shop anyway.

Reports of 4 hours waiting time are common.
Pulley

Re: Today's car barge update. It's not pretty.

Post by Pulley »

I guess the only people happy with this situation are the rental car companies on St. John. :D With all the uncertainty about the car barges we'll take the people ferry or a private water taxi. I would not do well waiting 4+ hours in line.

I wonder how many people are missing flights because of this?
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

I had intended to include in my earlier post that my friend who waited for 4 hours on St. T yesterday witnessed a fight over line place that required police intervention.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

iheartsj wrote:I had intended to include in my earlier post that my friend who waited for 4 hours on St. T yesterday witnessed a fight over line place that required police intervention.
So this problem also existed yesterday??
mdcoles1

Post by mdcoles1 »

i would be willing to bet it is more of an inconvenience to those that actually live on STJ than to those of us who are only visiting. :)
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

mdcoles you are so right. The local FB pages are full of stories. Businesses that are based on one island but had a job to do on the other reported spending 8 hours in line and just 2 to get the job done.

Concrete all comes from St. Thomas. The concrete shipments to St. John were stopped because you can't delay concrete or it will set up. That meant that the construction sites had to shut down.

This had a huge impact on the economies of both islands.

They are back to running two barges as of earlier today. They are the smaller two of the vessels.