Love City Car Barge Online Reservation?

Travel discussion for St. John
Teresa_Rae

Love City Car Barge Online Reservation?

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Wondering if anyone has made an online reservation with Love City for a car barge? Supposedly you're guaranteed to get on the barge at the time of your reservation. In theory, this sounds great, but in practice, I can't imagine it actually working.

We rent from Amalie but I'm a bit panicked about the situation...especially because 2 of our 5 vehicles are newbies coming for a wedding.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
nothintolose

Re: Love City Car Barge Online Reservation?

Post by nothintolose »

I was wondering the same thing, and if there are lines, how do you get ahead of all of the people already in line?
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Supposedly you just go up front and let the attendant know that you have a reserved spot. But I just can't imagine it actually working....
- Mark Twain
Pulley

Post by Pulley »

We had a reservation this past June. We called the office to let them know we were on the way. When we got there we were the 2nd car. If things don't change drastically we will rent our car on STJ. :x
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Pulley wrote:We had a reservation this past June. We called the office to let them know we were on the way. When we got there we were the 2nd car. If things don't change drastically we will rent our car on STJ. :x
Do you mean June of 2015 or June of 2016?
- Mark Twain
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Was that before the issues got bad?
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

Reserving a spot with Love City might work if the Love City barges are running. Currently one is and one isn't.

Being moved to the front of the line may cause a fight now. Emotions get a bit high when you wait in line for 4 - 6 hours.
Pia

Post by Pia »

You would have a riot on your hands if you pulled up and went to the front - if that worked everyone who has been waiting for 5+ hours would just go online on their phone and make a reservation.
Realtor - St John Properties
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

I agree about the riot part but you can't just go on-line and make a phone reservation. They have to be made at least 3 days in advance.

The pissing people off part is that part I would worry about, but on the other side of it, when you get a museum pass in Europe or a fast pass at Disney, you jump ahead of all of the people in line that have been there forever too. I still wouldn't want to be the one that everyone wants to kill :D
Pia

Post by Pia »

Especially as police were called yesterday to break up a fight at the dock !

And totally different scenario at the "skip the line" in Europe (have used it myself) - everyone in line (at least 90% of them) are "tourists" not a local trying to do business/shop/get to the hospital for an appointment/deliver gas to the gas station/deliver food to the grocery stores/deliver new trash bins/deliver PO mail....you get my point - the trip to the Eiffel Tower really doesn't matter and you always have the option to "skip the line" or "wait"

Pia
Last edited by Pia on Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Realtor - St John Properties
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Very true Pia! Very true :D
StMax

Post by StMax »

I came on island this past Saturday. I made a reservation for the 5 pm STJ - STT ferry. Arrived at the dock at 4:45 pm. Cars were qued all the way outside past the port authority kiosk. I called Love City's office. The captain of the Barge actually called me back and had one of the bathe staff members come out and remove me from line and take me straight to the barge. Got a bit interesting with port authority staff and port authority police, but got on the barge. Nobody lost tempers or anything and I was prepared to just sit there if they said they couldn't honor the reservation, but Love City is trying to accommodate those that do make reservations. Have two different friends that came in May and June and they had similar experiences. Just relaying my experience.