Recs for Birthday Dinner?

Travel discussion for St. John
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Recs for Birthday Dinner?

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

We will be on island for my birthday (August 3).

We've been to pretty much all of the "nicer" restaurants - La Tapa; Zozo's; Asolare; etc. and we love them all.

Thinking of trying something new and different this year, though - Ted's Supper Club, maybe....thoughts on that, or any other recommendations?
Knolmom

Re: Recs for Birthday Dinner?

Post by Knolmom »

How about th go eat Gallows in the space where Zo Zo's was located. Ocean's .....? I have read some nice things about it and you know you can't beat the view!
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

I highly recommend trying Extra Virgin if you haven't been there yet. They just opened last fall at the previous Fatty Crab location. We went there at the end of the week in mid-December and it was excellent (almost up there with Zozo's in our opinion). If we would have gone there earlier in the week we would have gone back a second time it was that good.
We haven't been to Ocean 362 in a couple of years (we went when it first became Ocean 362 run by a chef from Puerto Rico with an East Indian influence). It is now under new ownership/new chef in the past year+, but we haven't been wowed by the menu (unfortunate since we always stay at Gallows Point).
Enjoy!
Image[/url]
Chardonnay

Post by Chardonnay »

I second Extra Virgin Bistro - love the braised short rib and Cioppino! We also love Ocean 362 for sunset drinks - call ahead and reserve 2 seats at the upstairs bar.
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

GREAT recs, y'all! Keep 'em coming! (We go out a TON on St. John - I don't cook at home, so I'm DEFINITELY not cooking on vacation! :D ) Thanks!
MadCityMom

Post by MadCityMom »

How many in your party? I would also recommend Extra Virgin or St John Catering/Mathayom private chefs. We had dinner for 8 made at our villa to celebrate our wedding anniversary and it was just fantastic (and we had enough left over for another meal). They were great to work with in planning the meal. So good! :D
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Yes yes Teds Supper Club! He is so nice! And the food he cooks is amazing
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

Extra Virgin Bistro offers some great food. There is no view to enjoy while dining and that might be a drawback.

I second liamsaunt - I think Ted's Supper Club will be a great choice. We haven’t had his private chef service but used to go to Paradiso and Tage when he was the chef there. If where you are staying has a nice view, I would enjoy that with his dishes.

Have a wonderful birthday!