Norman Island or nearby snorkeling

Travel discussion for St. John
msfcambridge

Norman Island or nearby snorkeling

Post by msfcambridge »

Is there a charter (doesn't have to be private) that goes to Norman Island or nearby area for snorkeling excursions? Thanks!
equineannie

Re: Norman Island or nearby snorkeling

Post by equineannie »

Check out Kekoa, they are in St JOhn and are excellent.
Pulley

Post by Pulley »

Pirate Penny/Stormy Petrel can't say enough good things about them.
mdcoles1

Post by mdcoles1 »

In my research for September, I just became aware of
http://www.motoryachtcinnamonbay.com/

They do both group and private charters to the "treasure islands"
msfcambridge

Post by msfcambridge »

I didn't realize Kekoa had excursions there. Thanks for all the info.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Thank you for recommending Kekoa (I run the office) and we wold love to have you onboard but unfortunately we do not go to Norman.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
54b

Post by 54b »

Most of the more popular BVI snorkel stops are located near Norman island - The Indians, The Caves, The Aquarium, Spyglass, The Wall, etc. And that's the way you'll usually see them described and I think just about every private or group charter motor boat out of STJ frequents these places provided the waves aren't too choppy. When that happens, they usually have you snorkel off of Lovango or near Sandy Spit, which are closer to Jost Van Dyke.

We just got back from a trip in late June in which we went out with the Bad Kitty. Very similar to Pirate's Penny and Stormy Patrel mentioned above. About $150 per person plus customs ($45), plus tip (15-20% typical but not obligated) and any food/bev/souvenir purchases off boat. It's a group charter that leaves from STT and STJ and heads for Virgin Gorda, checks in at Spanish Town and then tours The Baths. After that you get lunch at Cooper Island and then on over to Norman for snorkeling (the captain picks the spot depending on the chop) and then finish at White Bay on JVD (Soggy Dollar Bar).

It's a good day, but very regimented, never in one place too long. Plus with so many people on board (like 20 to 30), there's some pressure to get back to Customs by around 3pm. I consider it the BVI sampler of charters good for first timers and couples who want to experience the BVIs but not foot the bill for a private charter.

That said, having experienced the BVIs now via group charter, private charter, ferry, and sailboat, my preference is the private charter, especially if you can get at least 4 adults to split it. All in, it usually at $900 to $1000 day. The charter fee is usually around $500 to $550. Customs are $45 each. You fill up the boat with gas at the end and that's usually close to $200 and then there's tip. More expensive, but a lot more flexibility and if you love Snorkeling, it's the way to go as you get hit 3 to 4 snorkel stops and still have time to go to lunch at a fun place like the Willy T (also off Norman), a fun stop at Sandy Spit (just a tiny island, all sand) and then a good amount of time on JVD (White Bay has exploded with more bars).

Anyway, hope that perspective helps.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow