Two more weeks in paradise, final

Travel discussion for St. John
liamsaunt

Re: Two more weeks in paradise, final

Post by liamsaunt »

fbo44 wrote:Love your reports...thanks for taking the time to post them! One quick question: how do you take such colorful underwater pictures?
Sorry, I missed your question the first time I came back to my report. The most important thing to do is make sure that you have a camera with an underwater setting, and to use it with the flash off. Even something like photoshop is not going to be able to really help underwater photos that are taken with the automatic setting. In general, getting as close as possible to what you are taking a photo of helps too. Finally, I usually do some basic touch ups of all of my photos, to adjust the colors to look more like what I can see underwater, as opposed to how it comes out of the camera. Any editing program works. I used to use picasa before I got photoshop. I think picasa might still be free.
ColumbiaSCTraveler wrote: Caneel's conch fritters. They look much smaller than most we've had on island. Are they yummy? We love the ones at Banana Deck and Aqua Bistro, if that helps.

This is going to sound crazy, but we actually voted Caneel's conch fritters our favorite of the trip! They have a lot of conch in them and come with a delicious spicy banana ketchup. I actually like the smaller size because it helps to eliminate the common conch fritter issue of an undercooked center.

Lime Inn. Never been there, either. That cracked conch looks wonderful! How was the lobster roll?

The cracked conch was delicious, very tender. It was my favorite part of the meal. I don't eat lobster, so can't personally comment on the lobster roll. John said the flavor was good but he does not like the bread at Lime Inn. I don't either. Bread quality is a big problem on St. John, which of course makes sense given the humidity.

We are having Ted (Ted's Supper Club) cook August 3 for my birthday dinner. CANNOT WAIT!!! Everything sounds amazing! When does he send you the proposed menu? A day or two out?

I went back and forth on email quite a bit with Ted. I think we finalized the menu a week in advance. He is very flexible, so tell him what you like/don't like. For example, I opted not to have the meat course served (he will serve half of your group one dish and half something different, and we all wanted fish). I don't like lobster but others in my group do so he did a lobster dish and a scallop dish for the first course.

The new Hansen digs - is it $2.50 per person? And is it worth it? With all the other free places to go, just curious. (Have never been to Hansen, amazingly enough.)

I've read different things about the cost. Some people have reported being charged $5 a carload. We had two jeeps and seven people. I thought the price was more than fair. I think it is worth it for the closer access to the snorkeling at Pelican Rock. Plus Vie's parking and beach is completely blocked off for the off season, so if you want to snorkel over there there's not really another option. Apparently Sunday is the busiest day and when they do the cookout and when Angel's Rest visits.

Have a great trip!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.