Waterfront Development Planned for Cruz Bay

Travel discussion for St. John
Jimm

Waterfront Development Planned for Cruz Bay

Post by Jimm »

How much room could possibly be there for this?
http://www.stjohntradewindsnews.com/wat ... -cruz-bay/
equineannie

Re: Waterfront Development Planned for Cruz Bay

Post by equineannie »

Won't matter, it is his land and he can do what he wishes if he gets the permits. Here's hoping the environmental approval doesn't come through, but I doubt this will be a sensitive area like Coral Bay. St John is becoming more commercial by the day, it's attractive quaintness long replaced by its attraction to the more well off traveler. They want ease and top line everything, so glad I visited for years, and lived on the island, in the 80s and 90s. I now go to smaller and quieter islands. As George Harrison said, "all things must pass," sadly.
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

This development is years off if it happens at all. The local CZM may issue a permit but the Army Corps of Engineers have the final say. This area is so shallow. The ACE is known for NOT issuing dredging permits.

According to VI land records, Brett Jefferson does not own the waterfront. It is owned by the Grande Bay LLC, same company that owns Grande Bay. He may have gotten some sort of lease for the waterfront.

Mr. Jefferson should just buy himself a private island. St. John is being ruined by these hedge funds types with more money than they know what to do with.
bill

Post by bill »

This makes me really sad......

Why do so many want to make it "better". Have been going to St John for over 20 years, so glad I was able to visit then and experience everything it had to offer. Let's hope this does not happen.

That being said, I still love St. John and have a great affection for the island and its people.