Villa is booked: Allesandra

Travel discussion for St. John
MadCityMom

Villa is booked: Allesandra

Post by MadCityMom »

After another very difficult deliberation we have booked Allesandra in upper Chocolate Hole for our next trip. There are not many reviews out there, but thanks to Rick G's review and posts and pictures from augie we decided to go for it. It looks perfect for us (husband and I, two daughters 6 and 9 and our au pair). For anyone who has stayed at Allesandra, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

:D
papabou

Re: Villa is booked: Allesandra

Post by papabou »

mcm,

never stayed at alles but have stayed on upper rockridge rd just above her a couple of times. love the location with easy drive into town, great western views with stt lightings nightly, sunsets all year long and great breezes. rickg is on the money on his info about the island and her homes but do know been a few yrs since he stayed there. we love plans where all on one level and easy access pool to kitchen living area. manager gets great reviews and would expect she'd alert you if there were issues specific to villa.

one word of caution on drive back toward cruz bay from rock br rd. you must turn right from left lane at a blind intersection onto south shore rd. be very careful and once you start pulling out, don't hesitate because the traffic coming from right is usually fast inbound. no problem in evening because you can see their headlights. wife began insisting for day trips into town that we take a left on travelers way to southshore then right where visibilty is fine.

enjoy.

papabou
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

one word of caution on drive back toward cruz bay from rock br rd. you must turn right from left lane at a blind intersection onto south shore rd. be very careful and once you start pulling out, don't hesitate because the traffic coming from right is usually fast inbound. no problem in evening because you can see their headlights. wife began insisting for day trips into town that we take a left on travelers way to southshore then right where visibilty is fine.
I always thought a convex mirror at that intersection be wonderful.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

Excellent choice in a villa :)
We have stayed at Allesandra three times and this Oct/Nov will be our fourth. Mike and I are pretty picky villa renters and this is by far one of the best. We were last there in 2014 with another couple. Last year they took it off the market for some renovations so we are glad to get back this year.

It's clean, well furnished, kitchen has everything, beds are comfortable, and now the great room has A/C

The pool and hot tub are perfect............we practically live in the pool! Sunsets are awesome, it's close to town, and it's super easy access!

If yo have questions just ask away! I love to talk about this villa :) :)
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

MCM:

Five of us stayed at Allesandra this past June. Some brief notes …..

Great views to the southwest (If skies are clear, can easily see STX and Vieques ... and the Southern Cross.) Quiet area. Needed to use A/C when we were there, since house isn't quite exposed to the tradewinds.

Well-equipped, with modern appliances. And everything works!

Propane range, and big grill outside on deck.

Nice pool; so-so hottub. Bananaquits & hummingbirds in abundance. (Fill the hummer feeder with sugar water.)

Good water pressure in main house; weaker in the satellite apartment.
Good celltower service. Good WiFi, except for occasional hiccups from provider.

Only real negative (according to my wife) is that the bathroom in each of the main house’s bedrooms has an open ceiling. So anyone in the bedroom will hear ‘everything’ going on in the bathroom.

Cindy of Carefree Getaways was very responsive to any issues that arose during our stay.

The drive up to the villa on RockRidge Road only has one switchback, but rarely any traffic. I agree with Papabou that you have to be careful at the intersection with Southshore Road. It helps to roll down your windows and listen for oncoming traffic climbing the hill.

Enjoy!
JohnM
"The exuberance of youth pales in comparison to a middle-age crisis."
RickG

Post by RickG »

As you mention, we love Allesandra. Killer views, great sunset and twinkling lights of St. Thomas at night. You and your family will love it. The third bedroom is downstairs below the garage and private, good for the au pair.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
MadCityMom

Post by MadCityMom »

Thanks all so much for the info. papabou and Marcia thanks for the heads up on that turn.

Rick G thanks for your helpful review and input! We are so excited for the views and sunsets and breezes!

Jan&MikeVa - Thank you so much for the comments on Allesandra! Well stocked kitchen and comfortable beds are big for us! So excited for the pool and deck area! What about neighbors? Are there a lot of villas nearby? You can't tell from the pictures. Also from the front of the pool, I see there is a metal bar across, is there a big drop to below? Also for those staying in the cottage below, if they need to come to the main house during the night, is there a lighted way in with access? How late is there sun on the deck in the afternoon?

Thanks so much! Love planning our next trip!
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

Let me respond to your questions:

There are no neighbors that we have ever heard. We have heard people from the villa above Allesandra right up Rock Ridge. But no issues, maybe the excitement of someone checking in.

The pool and pool deck are private ;)

Yes, there is a drop off beyond the rail, it's fun to watch the activity from birds and such below. There are also fruit trees.

The cottage does have a lighted path and stairwell up to the main pool deck. It's close by, but private enough.

The pool deck gets full sun until the sun sets. The dining area is covered. It can get hot out there, but we're usually in the pool. They have built a deck under the house with a bit of a view. There was really nothing there yet 2 years ago. Now they have hammocks and some games or something.

When are you going? I will be happy to report back once we get back in November. You cannot go wrong with this villa............fantastic decision :)

Happy planning!!
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

We just toured Allesandra last Sunday. It is just up the road from La Papaya and Ambiance, two villas we are renting for my son's wedding. We stayed there many many years ago and it has been expanded and refined since the. It is a great villa, very clean even though it has been closed up. All furniture is in great condition. Even closed up, with just fans , the main room was not oppressive without A/C. The pool was bath water warm. The cottage bedroom was cute. We could not gain access to the upstairs bedroom over the garage, despite having the keys. The " play area" under the deck has furniture and I believe a ping pong or pool table. We did hear quite a bit of noise from a villa next door on the right. People were out around the pool. You could see them through the foliage.
Although we loved the villa, it was a little too rich for what we ( actually the bride and groom) needed to house overflow guests. $$ only go so far and this villa is pretty pricey if you need all 4 bedrooms, and they are far from equal. We ended up renting Whales Tale, which got a terrible review recently. We toured the place and it is gorgeous, but has a different villa concept in that each bedroom is a suite with fridge and cooktop TV and a sofa. The main living/ kitchen is small for 8 people, but outdoor areas are expansive with nice upscale furniture. Small pool and private jacuzzi. A nice setup for our guests.