Sad

Travel discussion for St. John
philbetm

Re: Sad

Post by philbetm »

:D Maybe a little more than half full Anthony !! I was thinking the same thing you did....peeps are reading and posting ...Yeah !! :D

papabou....I have always loved to read your stories about your trips ! So entertaining !!! :lol:

Thanks all
Sherry in S.C.
" I believe there's Magic here...."
Suziekue

Post by Suziekue »

Agree, I'm here checking in once or twice a day, just don't always have a lot to say except that my ticker countdown is on! :lol:
Last edited by Suziekue on Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soarin' with the eagles all week long, and this is all that we've learned about living - VACATION!

kklay

Post by kklay »

papabou - our group is going late November - the week of Thanksgiving and the following week. It would be great if you and your wife were on island at least for some of the time we are - would love to meet you! I love reading your posts. Who knows, maybe you would even join us for one of our hot dog cookouts on the beach! 8)
papabou

Post by papabou »

kind suggestion kk and thanks for commenting on my laborous posts. wife has made it clear she's done her last trip to stj. she became a beach sitter and too many places she can get to so much easier than stj. my fault because i introduced her to grand cayman and club med cancun as places where she could walk out door and sit and i could do same on snorkeling both no driving.

i feel good about getting back mid november. have an opportunity to join a compatible group and wife met one of group last oct. i can't find fault with her being unwilling to return; she has been kind enough to send me off with her blessings on 7 trips to stj in past 10 yrs with just a snorkel buddy (males only and known to her). kinda fun since all my buds love the place to and enjoy a good time for old f*rts. lot of craziness but i maybe growing out of that phase of my life, just not out yet.

soooo, with tentative plans to get back, a place to lay my head at night and some companionship, i'll be looking in more often to check on the weather.

a special note to rickg who seems to check in every now and then when he's not playing pirates of the caribbean. when's your sorry **s going to get tired of all those hard surfaces on your sail boat? bet it will be before long and you can officially return as "chief of st john promotions". that'll be quite a promotion from just being my most admired sailer! i could become a sailer if they made soft hull boats and i could keep straight the meaning of all those nautical terms like leeward, windward, port, starboard, lanyard, and coming about! what's wrong with plan old terms like up & downwind, left and right, rope and moving that long thing that holding the sail down. just too damn uppty for me.

nappy time so wife and i can watch a british dvd about a rogue judge named john deed this evening.

papabou
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

While my passion for STJ and snorkeling hasn't diminished, my time online has - significantly! I've taken the easy way out, for the most part, but still check in occasionally. Whenever a trip is coming up, I'm nosing around more! :lol: Sniff, sniff, sniff :wink:
Papabou, I don't think you've lost ALL your travel companions! I'm hoping you're about to make several more friends!
StMax

Post by StMax »

image.jpeg
[attachment=0]image.jpeg[/attachment
I'm a newbie having started visiting STJ 5 years ago, but still love it and appreciate the information gleaned for all the members input. My family of wife and two teenage daughters and two friends of aid daughters had fm great trip this past July. Thank you. Try not to be sad! Everything has its ebbs and flows. I was on a charter with Captain John a couple of years ago and he stopped at Ricks boat to say hi, and I was too embarrassed to say hi (silly). But Ricks and others input has been valuable.
Attachments
image.jpeg
RickG

Post by RickG »

BillVT wrote:We are in the DC area often because our grandchildren are there and have been meaning to drop by one of Rick G's places when time permits. Rick are you still involved with the Mad Fox?
Hey Bill, I'm still involved on the board at Mad Fox, but not in daily operations. I still have my day job in IT. Ping me if you're stopping by and I'll join you for a beer.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

I still check in here from time to time, more on the off-topic board though because I don't really think we'll be back to STJ any time soon. Pete and I are hitting that time in our lives when the allure of travel to new destinations outweighs going back to the familiar. We miss our friends there and cherish the memories of the years and years we enjoyed in STJ.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

I visit here daily except when I'm traveling. I'm not as old an oldie as some of you are and didn't know the forum in the 90's. I've met great folks virtually as well as in person through this forum and for that I am very, very grateful.

I miss all the trip reports, by newbies, oldies or whoever, that used to pop up quite often. It was fun to read how other folks spent their time on island. We tried to do some of the things that I had read and ended up finding new-to-us routines or that some things were not really for us. We all experience the island differently... or similarly. We were fortunate to be able to make our last minute trip to St. John earlier last month. I had given up on posting a trip report (life has gotten in the way) but I might try to write one.

Congratulations on 20+ years, Anthony!
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I still check the forum multiple times a day, even when I'm not actively trip planning. And we still vacation on STJ every summer...I only wish we could afford to go more often! I got pregnant with both of my kiddos on STJ and now they LOVE the island, too :D :shock: :lol: :oops: :wink:
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
kklay

Post by kklay »

Teresa, what wonderful "gifts" you were able to bring home from St. John!
Bett

Post by Bett »

I don't know what made me log in tonight but I'm glad I did ! I recognize many of the long timers names , I even have a cookie recipe that Connie posted in 2009!
I confess that STT & Sapphire Beach has our hearts but we visit STJ frequently for my Lobster fix at the Lime Inn and to see our new friends at the Beach Bum with the cute little doggy and a baby on the way !
The last few visits have been with teen G'kids for Spring Break staying just a week but for a few years we were there for a month .
Not sure about this years SB , 18 year old G'son is a freshman at U of Iowa , Hawkeye heaven and Miss Priss is a Freshman in HS.
For G'sons grad gift we had a Shutter Fly book made with pics of all the trips we have taken these kids on but the most pic were of the USVI's starting about 12 years ago .
My husband is mostly retired as we have our son taking over the business , we are in the Funeral business and yes , he has visited the FH's on STT...have you noticed the lavender painted one near the cemetery as you come in from the airport ?
We came upon a little cemetery outside of Coral Bay , we were caught in a traffic jam , goats , or we would have never seen it .
We have made island friends , some have lived there all their lives ! There are a lot of changes , not all good but the magic is still there . we were on island when the family from Delaware was poisoned but didn't know about it till we got home...very scary ! I still hate how those condos have changed the hill side coming into Cruz Bay .
We also travel in our motor home and love it , I saw a Tiny House segment on HGTV a while back , they were building on STJ . The mountain driving doesn't bother me but driving an RV with tow car...I don't think so . just wanted to check in & say I also miss seeing all the oldies....Mindy I recognize you name ! So if you are waiting to go back "someday" take it from us "someday" is now !! safe travels
VaDavid

Post by VaDavid »

I am not on as often as I use to be, there is so much going on I forget to check in. I have met many great people on here and will be on island this weekend.
GidgetPicklebrain

Post by GidgetPicklebrain »

Been hanging around since some time in 2002, and still check in just about daily. Back then, I was here multiple times a day because the joint was so jumping. Have finally scraped together enough free time and enough $$$$ to have trip #3 finally in the works. Villa is set (Coconuts - yay!), airfare is frustrating but there's still plenty of time. Working on bringing my sister along on thid trip. She has never had a "real" vacation and has struggled to get by for decades. She is almost there with saving up enough for airfare. I'll foot the bill for lodging and food. I am so looking forward to her experiencing the healing power of St. John. May cannot get here soon enough.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. - Confucius

Mark

Post by Mark »

Still here also. Same as everyone else I check in a couple of times a day. More of a lurker not many posts. Getting ready for retirement, purchased property in Florida and are spending time there now getting it up to speed. 1 and a half years since visiting, anticipate getting back to our 2 trips a year in 2017. Good to see everyone again.